Please Help with a 9' Prop Matthews Brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help with a 9' Prop Matthews Brothers

My father is looking to sell a prop which has the markings of : Matthews Brothers #1132 9' x 6" x 5' 7" R-6

It has a minor split in the front, and he is getting back to me with pics very soon

If anyone can provide any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

He has had it in his possesion since the 60's, and never did anything to it.

Thank You,

Jennifer

I mostly would like to know the value if possible. It does need to be refinished in some way, he hasnt touched it.

Hi, Jennifer.

I'm guessing that it is similar to this one as your is stamped R6 and it's the same size. Matthews Bros. made lots of props for the Navy in the teens and twenties, most of them sold off as surplus in the twenties.

Its value is hard to determine without seeing it and knowing what it was actually used on. Pictures may help. If you want to email them to me I can post them here.

Definitely don't try to refinish it.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks

I am in the process of getting pics of the prop, and as soon as i have them, i will email/post them. I will probably place the prop on ebay, unless you have a better suggestion...

Jennifer

Comment

Wait until I see the pics, if you can.
        Dave

Comment

thanks

Ok, my brother is visiting my father this week, and he will forward me some pics of the prop. Thanks again!

Comment

pics

Hi i am emailing you pics, i dont know how to post them [/img]

Comment

Dave

Comment

Looking for info

Hi, Im just curious about the history of this prop, is there a good place to look?
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is some information about the similar prop for the Curtiss R4, which preceded the R6 but was very similar.

You won't likely find any history specific to that propeller. Most likely it was never used on an actual aircraft, but sold off as surplus in the twenties.
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X