Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help To ID Propeller Boss

Hello everyone,

I am a new member and this is my first post.

I would like to ask the Forum to help identify the specific aircraft type that would have used the following four bladed propeller. The boss (all that remains) is stamped:

G443 N15
    AB 694 LH
    350 HP ROLLS ROYCE
    EAGLE 8
    D 3350
    P2800

It has been suggested that this propeller was designed for the Handley Page 0/400 – but I am unable to find details of this aircraft fitted specifically with a 350hp engine. The nearest I note is the 360hp Eagle VIII.

Any ideas?

Kind regards, Malcolm.

The only plane I see listed for that drawing number is the Handley Page 0/400, but it also lists as engines the RR Eagle 6, 7, or 8.

There is also an AB693 that's identical except that it's a right hand rotation.
    Dave

Comment

Hello Dave,

Thank you for the reply and confirmation regarding HP 0/400.

I have had an email regarding a complete propeller that resides in a local museum that has similar details stamped onto the boss:

G442 N93
      AB 694 LH
      350 HP ROLLS ROYCE
      EAGLE
      D 3350
      P 2800

Apart from first line of information it would appear to be identical. Any thoughts?

Kind regards, Malcolm.

Comment

Looks like the same propeller with a different production number.

Look closely at the hub for signs of indentation or pressure from the metal hub assembly. Often these props were never used but were sold as surplus when they became obsolete.
        Dave

Comment

Dave, thank you again for the reply,

I have had a look at mine and cannot see any real evidence of wear except inside the main hole which does display signs of use. This area also has grey/black grease applied which has now set hard.

Kind regards, Malcolm.

Comment

Malcolm,

The G number suggests that the prop was made around April 1918.

There were at least nine variations on this prop design; AB694, AB6941 etc through to AB6948. The variations were in diameter and pitch. But AB694 was the standard issue.

Most of these props are marked for the 275hp Eagle engine, so yours with a 350hp Eagle engine, might be later than April 1918. Some propeller contracts were open ended and ran for over a year, so that although the G number was issued in April 1918, the prop itself might have been made later. Googling the RR Eagle engine might produce an answer.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hello Bob,

Thank you for a very helpful and comprehensive reply.

Would it be possible that this propeller could have been used on the later V/1500?

Kind regards, Malcolm.

Comment

Good Morning Malcolm,

The Handley Page V/1500 had completely different props. The tractor props on the front were huge, 3960mm, the largest WW1 aircraft prop that I know of. The pushers on the back were 3150mm.

Note that the O/400 aircraft was the O model, preceded by the N and succeeded by the P. So the aircraft is the O/400, not the 0/400. Hence the V/1500. (I hope this paragraph makes sense!)

If there are any readable very small squares on the hub with AID in them (for the Aeronautical Inspection Department) could you tell me for my database what the numbers are, typically written as 21J, 7W4 or 78. It would help my research.

And if any other forumites have a British WW1 prop, please send me the the G and N nos and the AID nos and the prop drg no. I would much appreciate your help.

With kind regards,

Bob
                Bob Gardner

Comment

Hello Bob,

Thank you for the additional information which I have found very interesting.

I have looked at the boss and there is indeed a square divided into four, each with information stamped inside the individual squares. However, I am unable to read them as the area is coated with old varnish. There is also an arrow impressed above.

Kind regards, Malcolm.

Comment

Thanks Malcolm. Thank you for looking. I much regret that these AID marks are more often unreadable than not!

Bob
                    Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                    X