Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More info on this prop please?

Hi there,

Was looking for some help identifying more about this propeller. As far as I'm aware its from a WWI S.E.5a with a 200HP Hispano-Suiza engine. Can anyone tell me what all the other letters and numbers mean? Maybe the cost too?

Here's whats written on it:

G 667 N 49
    AB 8080
    200 HISPANO
    SUIZA 3/4
    D2514
    P2650

Many thanks!

Jack.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Jackc89 View Post
    Hi there,

Was looking for some help identifying more about this propeller. As far as I'm aware its from a WWI S.E.5a with a 200HP Hispano-Suiza engine. Can anyone tell me what all the other letters and numbers mean? Maybe the cost too?

Here's whats written on it:

G 667 N 49 Production (serial) number - Bob Gardner may be able to narrow it to a date.
    AB 8080 - Air Board (design firm) design number
    200 HISPANO Engine Hispano Suzia (Hisso)
    SUIZA 3/4
    D2514 - Diameter in mm
    P2650 - Pitch in mm (I think it's 2850 mm)
    The prop was also used on a Sopwith Dolphin, replacing model T28137.

I'm not sure what the "3/4" means with respect to the Hisso.

See this link with respect to value. It looks as if it was cut in half and reassembled, which drops its value considerably. If the hub were authentic, it would add to its value, but it's covered with a plate, so you need to ascertain whether the hub itself has been further altered underneath the plate.

Comment

Further to Dave's reply, the batch number 667 dates to late 1917 or early 1918. The RAF Museum have an example from the same batch, number 26. There were 100 props in each batch.

The prop was designed for a geared Hispano engine which reduced the engine speed by 25%, for example from 2000rpm engine speed to a prop rotation speed of 1500rpm; hence 3/4.

Your prop has been cut in half through the hub, probably by the man who brought it home from WW1 as a souvenir. This adds to the historical interest of the prop. It's part of its history. And the polished hub plates holding it together add to the charm. As Dave observes, this does reduce the monetary value of the prop, despite making it more interesting.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
      X