Another Gipsy Major identification request from Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Gipsy Major identification request from Edmonton

My Dad was a navigator for the R.C.A.F in a Halifax based out of York England. At WW11"s end he served at Edmonton Municipal Airport (YXD), in northern supply, where I think the prop in question came from. Any help in identification would be appreciated and an estimate in value would be interesting. Thanks Michael Calverley
    The markings are as follows:
    D.6-33.P4-42.
    L.L. 5528.
    Mar. 43.
    L-D.H. 5220-2.
    Gipsy. Major.1C.

It is in beautiful condition, although at some point varnished. There is no Decal of manufacturer. It is an 8 bolt prop and 6'4" in length.

Hello Michael,

The drg no is slightly different from those that are in my database and I think must indicate Canadian variations on the original English de Havilland drg nos.

The 5220 series of numbers was the standard prop for the Moth series of aircraft. There were over forty different forms of the number, starting at DH 5220/A and ending at 5220/P/25. They were used on the Moth, Gipsy Moth, Puss Moth, Fox Moth, Tiger Moth, Queen Bee and several other aircraft from the 1930's from other makers than DH.

Your number 5220-2 might be the same as the English number 5220/B of which there were 8 varieties all fitted with the early Gipsy engine except one which had the Series 1 Gipsy Major. This was fitted to the Fox Moth.

This is an unlkely contender. It is more likley that yours was fitted to the DH Tiger Moth used for initial training for the RCAF and RAF. In 1936 a contract was awarded for 25 aircraft to be built for the RCAF in Toronto at de Havillands' Downsview plant, subject to some modifications to suit Canadian conditions. An enclosed, heated cockpit, metal struts for the wings instead of wood and other smaller modifications were made at the request of the RCAF. During production more changes were made including the addition of brakes and a tailwheel to take advantage of the hard surface runways then coming into use in Canada. These changes justified a new designation of DH82c and over 1500 were built and used to equip training squadrons across Canada.

I believe that the serial number LL5328 indicates that the prop was made by the Laidlaw Brothers, although this cones from the misty depths of my memory and might not be correct.

Value. I am English and can't advise on Canadian values but here in the UK there are quite a few of these props around. They sell at auction for about 300 gbp (590 usd). As yours is in good condition, it has an insurance value of around 500 gbp (980 usd).

With regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

A friend of me gave me the same prop but few differences on marking:
      D.6-33.P.4-42
      L.L.4707
      L-D.H.5220-2.
      GIPSY.MAJOR.1C

He told me that it's a Granby propeller but the decals are almost illegibles. I can see green, gold and black colors on the original decals.

If someone could show me picture of original Granby logo I would appreciate.

Best regards,

Philippe

Comment

I need a Tiger Moth prop for a WWII pilot...

I saw your post about the tiger moth propeller from January 2008. My dad was a cadet in the RCAF in Edmonton in 1940. I would love to surprise him with one for Father's day, unfortunately not for use but as a keepsake. He went on to a long and glorious career in the USAF, retiring in late 1972 as a full colonel, having served and flown and commanded missions in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. At age 86 he no longer flies but does talk about it all the time, including frequently about his earliest flying years in Canadian Tiger Moth training aircraft in Edmonton. The fact that the propeller may have been in use or at least in Edmonton when dad was is huge, but as he ferried planes to Britain in WWII, a British prop would be equally wonderful. Dad was in England last year in fact, visiting the American military cemetary where his cousin, a D-Day pilot and casualty, is interred.
        Please let me know if you still have such a prop or have access to one, and the price for it. I'll of course pay all shipping, obviously. Please let me know as soon as you can, I'd like to have it as soon as possible. Does not need to be serviceable, will only be wall art. Patrick Dunagan +1.817.808.0699

Comment

Working...
        X