New purchase and need help identifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New purchase and need help identifying

Bought this at a private sale this week and am seeking info on what aircraft it might have been from.

It is 93.25" tip to tip, 8 laminations, metal edging 26" long x 1/2" wide made from non-magnetic metal (not brass or copper). No markings found other than perhaps a serial number of F631 and a number 21 in a circle.

The peculiar thing is that this prop is fully covered in fiberglass and painted black. From the database of pictures on this web-page is resembles the Curtis HS2L prop under the American listing (which might be as the Province of Manitoba had these aircraft back in the day) but without the larger metal edging and tip as shown in the pic.

There is an outline of maybe a previous applied decal on each blade in the shape of an arrow (see pic) but nothing else visible.

Any help appreciated.
    Attached Files

Without design number stampings it will be very hard if not impossible to identify. It doesn't look like an HS2L prop to me, but you should compare the hub measurements to the Liberty engine on this chart.

Blade design itself is a poor indicator of usage, as there were many, many variations with overlap.
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      Without design number stampings it will be very hard if not impossible to identify. It doesn't look like an HS2L prop to me, but you should compare the hub measurements to the Liberty engine on this chart.

Blade design itself is a poor indicator of usage, as there were many, many variations with overlap.
      I thank you for the reply and information. I agree that it does not match the HS2L prop, merely the blade shape was close and have since seen on NOTPLANEJANE.COM that it might perhaps be an ERCO propeller but I still cannot confirm that nor identify what type of aircraft it might have flown on. The outline of the decal matches pretty closely. I will continue my search.

Thanks

mike

Comment

Working...
      X