Would like information on following prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like information on following prop

I have what appears to be a mahogany prop with the following information on the prop around the hub. Value and exact type of prop I have would be greatly appreciated.

Right side of hub marked

8'4" 0-5'-0" P
    OX 5

on top of hub is

1773 with a small cloverleaf type mark or possibly a four blade prop type mark

Left side of hub marked

SC9872
    with small square underneath

Thanks,

Alan M.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by alcap68; 03-12-2012, 09:47 PM. Reason: add photos

It's a "toothpick" style propeller for an OX5 engine, and was commonly used on the JN4 airplane. The "SC" number is a Signal Corps number, and the cloverleaf is a Signal Corps stamp. See this page for more info.

Your prop has been refinished, which reduces its value, and they are relatively easy to find. There is one for sale now on eBay, but IMHO is considerably overpriced with an opening bid of over $3k.
    Dave

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the info. Thought that is what I had but the pics of other props I had been seeing didn't have the copper tips.

Found the prop in my grandpa's carport after he passed and my aunt and I were going thru estate stuff. Not sure how he came to have it but he was in the Air Force for awhie. Unfortunately she let an idiot get ahold of it that took it upon himself to refurbish it. Could have hung both of them by their toenails for doing it.

Had it for several years now but never have found a good place to display it at my house so it will probably need to go. Wife doesn't want it in the living room so what is a guy to do.

Would be interested in taking bids if anyone is interested.

Alan M.

Comment

Working...
      X