New to the forum, prop ID needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum, prop ID needed

Hello, I'm new to the forum and just joined because I bought an old wooden propeller yesterday at a sale. It has Hartzell stickers on it, though they are worn, and is about 9' long. The text on the side of the hub is as follows:
    AIRPLANE PT-1
    STANDING R.P.M.
    ENGINE WRIGHT-E-198H.
    PART NO 074067
    A.G.NO. 29-1914.

Does this count as an early or modern propeller?
    Am I right in assuming it was used on a PT-1 Trainer in the mid 20's? I wasn't sure about the last line what that stands for. Any info would be appreciated. p.s. I also noticed how much bigger it gets as you bring it into your house and look at it!!! Didn't seem that big when I went to buy it (Ha).

It's more of a modern propeller, but I'm not sure that PT in this case stands for primary trainer. I had one of those props once, and sold it to someone in the military who planned to display it in their building (I think it was a branch of recruiting) on the mall in Washington D.C. I don't know if it ever ended up there, but before selling it I had done some research and I think I concluded that PT in that case was "patrol torpedo" or something equally descriptive. I'll see if I can dig up the info again. I suspect the design is the same as mine, nice scimitar shape with scalloped sheathing? Pretty prop.
    Dave

Comment

Here is a photo of the propeller.
      Attached Files

Comment

Photo attributed to g_takeuchi found on Flickr when searching for Consolidated PT-1 photos. Photo was taken at the San Diego Air and Space Museum and shows the propeller, but it looks like the metal scallop edge is gone except for one scallop. (Since I'm not sure if I can post someone else's photo, don't know if it is copyrighted, I use it as reference for anyone else to look up.) Tom

Comment

Yeah, I guess that's the same design. I somehow thought mine was more scimitar shaped, but I think I'm mistaken.
          Dave

Comment

I also notice the props I see in the museums and on ebay are varnished wood and mine has a red paint covering it. Were the originals painted or did they come natural? Thanks, Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomkat98 View Post
              I also notice the props I see in the museums and on ebay are varnished wood and mine has a red paint covering it. Were the originals painted or did they come natural? Thanks, Tom
              Both. It was usually up to the manufacturer or sometimes the customer. Even with early propellers some were painted but most were just varnished.
              Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave for all of the info. Tom

Comment

Working...
                X