Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW I era flying boat prop????

Hello
    I have a prop from a USN flying Boat. Which one is unknown .Also who he maker of the prop was. Any help appreciated Thanks
    bob
    Attached Files

I can't tell from the photo, but is the rear of the hub notched? That would indicate a four-bladed prop configuration.

"CP" usually refers to Curtiss Propeller. The LH refers to left hand thread which for that era usually indicates a pusher application. "SE" refers to "Steam Engineering" which was the Navy department in charge of procuring propellers for their flying boats. The hub looks like it would fit a Liberty engine, which was commonly used by the Navy on a variety of flying boats.

I do have some other reference material at home and might be able to correlate one of those numbers to an aircraft make and/or model.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
      I can't tell from the photo, but is the rear of the hub notched? That would indicate a four-bladed prop configuration.

"CP" usually refers to Curtiss Propeller. The LH refers to left hand thread which for that era usually indicates a pusher application. "SE" refers to "Steam Engineering" which was the Navy department in charge of procuring propellers for their flying boats. The hub looks like it would fit a Liberty engine, which was commonly used by the Navy on a variety of flying boats.

I do have some other reference material at home and might be able to correlate one of those numbers to an aircraft make and/or model.
      Thanks for the reply
      Yes the rear is cut back
      As if a second prop also cut back would interlock with it

Comment

Yes, that was a common feature of many of the Liberty engine propellers in that era. There were quite a few different flying boats that might have used it, however.

I'll see if I can dig up any more information. Don't hold your breath . . .

Comment

I did look through my folders and couldn't find anything that matches any of those numbers. In fact, there's not a lot of IDs for any four-bladed props.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
            I did look through my folders and couldn't find anything that matches any of those numbers. In fact, there's not a lot of IDs for any four-bladed props.
            Thanks for your effort

Comment

Working...
            X