Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.75ft Hermes with 4.90ft pitch !

Hi,
    I was given this propeller from my favorite aunty who originally brought it form an antique shop in England to give to my pilot uncle in the 1970s but its been in a wardrobe for 30+ years. Its got stamped on it around the hub (Dia 6.75ft Pitch 4.90ft R3/AV/65008 20-6-29), the hub is 6" round with a 2 1/4" hole through it and 8 x 1/4" holes for bolts. It is 6" thick and laminated from 6 x 1" dark wood but not heavy enough to be mahogany I think, on the leading edge are 5 x brass smooth riveted sections taking it 28" back from the tip. Obviously the date is 20th June 1929 I was wondering if you could shed any light on it not that im selling it but I would like to know more before I mount it on the wall. The other point to mention is that when she brought it some red white and blue ribbons attached to a champange cork were with it and a letter about a survived crash landing, she is still looking for the letter etc it must be in the loft she thinks. Hope to hear from you soon.
    Cheers Kev

Kev,
    You'll probably have to wait until Bob Gardner checks in here to find out anything about that one. I sure don't know it. He's away for a few weeks but will probably respond when he returns.
    Dave

Comment

Some photos

Thanks Dave,
      I will wait and see what turns up.
      Kev.

http://cid-12956390b203f028.spaces.live.com/

Comment

6.75ft Hermes with 4.90ft pitch

Hi Kevin
        Just wondering if you still have your propeller and whether you found out any more about it.
        I recently bought a couple of propellers one of which is very similar to yours. Information on the hub includes a design number Y686/1, engine type Hermes, serial number R3/AV/66306 and date 7 12 29. It is also made of dark wood and is marked DIA 6.75 Ft and Pitch 4.9 Ft.
        I note that the site list of designs includes Y685 for the small Desoutter airplanes made in 1929 - 1930, but there is no entry for design Y686/1.
        I bought the propeller from a militaria dealer in Essex.
        Regards
        Hugh

Comment

Working...
        X