Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behrend & Ruggebrecht Decal

Hey All,

I'm told this is the go-to place for WWI Propeller information. I am not a propeller owner (but one day maybe...)

I want to create a Behrend & Ruggebrecht decal for a plane I am hoping to build in the near future. It will be a three-quarter scale Fokker E1 that I will be able to fly. The plane I would like to build has a B&R propeller.

I have a good drawing available, but I need help with the sizes and colors to make an accurate decal. Can anyone help with this project? Any help or direction would be really appreciated! Thanks.

Dan S

If you have a good drawing, a reproduction can be made by these guys. I don't think I've seen an original, but that would certainly provide more accuracy.
    Dave

Comment

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the tip. When I have some solid information, I will certainly look into them.

The drawing I have (should say: Have access to) is "scale-able" (Is that a word?), so I am waiting for good dimensions, and if possible, good colors.

The only complete picture I have ever seen was in Fokker Eindekker Compendium II by Josef Scott. The picture is credited to the Lt. Col. Gardner collection (So far no luck in contacting Lt. Col. Gardner). It's in color, but I know printers rarely take pains to reproduce colors correctly unless asked to specially.

Here is a partial image of the logo. Its right behind Vizefeldwebel Udet's arm (the short guy on the left). The black "P" is really the "B" in Behrend. The "R" in Ruggebrecht is a lighter color and is woven into the "B".

I think it is safe to say that I am willing to share these decals for cost if anyone else is interested. I just want an accurate decal on my airplane's propeller. Thanks.

Dan S

Comment

Lt. Col Bob Gardner is one of our moderators here and will hopefully chime in at some point. You could also try contacting him through his website, http://www.Aeroclocks.com. Bob is also coming out with a new book on German propellers very soon, so that might very well be a great resource for you.

Not sure what the demand may be for those decals, but what little experience I have with trying to locate them is that printing a batch isn't much more expensive than printing just a few.
        Dave

Comment

Hey Dave,

Thanks again! I have tried Lt. Col. Gardner at Aeroclocks and am pleased to find he is a moderator here! I also know people get busy and have real lives to live. I'm still hoping to speak with him if for no other reason than to thank him for his contribution to Josef Scott's aforementioned book. If he is producing a book on German propellers, (that might account for his being absorbed elsewhere at this time) then maybe it will be the resource I need!

Over at The Aerodrome forum, people are always casting about for various manufacturers decals (Fokker, Albatross, Garuda, Axial, etc...) to complete sundry projects so I'm sure someone besides me will eventually want one. But I'm sure you’re right, the demand is small.

Thanks again,

Dan S

Comment

Hey All,

For those who've never seen the decal I wish to make, here is a photo my daughter took from Josef Scott's Fokker Eindecker Compendium II. It's from Lt. Col. Gardner's collection.

Dan S

Last edited by Alkali Jones; 02-26-2013, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Nice.

It's still amazing to me how intricate and expressive some of these decals were, considering how little need there was for them to be so elaborate. I wonder how many other military components had such decoration from the manufacturers.
              Dave

Comment

Bump- Anyone??

Dan S

Comment

Hey All,

Ok, no replies, so... time for a new tack. Anyone know of a museum where they have a Behrend & Ruggebrecht propeller? Perhaps I can continue this project through them.

By looking at photos I'm starting to conclude that the decal is smaller than a Garuda Feldpropeller decal which is right around 76-77mm in diameter, but larger that the rotary engine nut that holds the propeller bobbin on, making the B&R decal around 55-60mm. Thoughts?

Dan S
                  Last edited by Alkali Jones; 02-26-2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X