Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 07-31-2018, 03:27 PM   #11
Bob Gardner

Postscript,

John do you have the name and address of the seller, and his eBay moniker?

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:17 AM   #12
JR44
Forum Contributor

Hi Bob,
The markings I posted earlier are on the supposed SE5A prop so are you telling me that these are not right and that you have seen them before?
It is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.
JR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:19 AM   #13
JR44
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gardner View Post
Postscript,

John do you have the name and address of the seller, and his eBay moniker?

Bob
The ebay name is missbex26
Old 08-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #14
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

In your notifications from eBay (i.e. completed sale) do you get the option to provide feedback on the seller? You should also be able to view the original listing instead of the current listing for a Sopwith propeller. If those options are not present I would contact eBay and ask them why. If you bought it "outside of eBay" from that seller eBay may not be able to help you.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #15
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Yikes. You should return it for a full refund if you want to. Here's the description from another site:

He falsely states that the propeller is "full sized", which it isn't. Look at the asymmetry of the blades and the statement that its length is "approximately 7 feet". In a previous thread Bob pointed out that its drawing number (AB 8218 ) defines a length of 2940 mm, which corresponds to 9.65 feet. While I believe that the prop is authentically "antique" with respect to its manufacture date, it is not "full sized", as roughly two feet has been removed from one blade and the blade tip re-shaped to resemble the other one. Even the proportions on the short blade are "awkward" looking compared to a normal shape on the other blade.

Whether intentionally fraudulent or not, it's not an accurate description of the item and you should be entitled to return it for a refund. That's especially true in light of your original stated intent to obtain a "full sized" prop. If you need testimonial support in any way I'm willing to provide that and suspect that Bob would be as well.

Good luck!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Listing.jpg (97.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg dealer_sover_full_1506241169225-0394095937.jpg (43.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg dealer_sover_full_1506241182295-4519438034.jpg (55.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Listing x 600.jpg (33.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #16
JR44
Forum Contributor

Thanks
I found this ad as well.
I phoned him up and he says if I have any problem it can be returned for a full refund.
The diameter from the stamps on the other side says 2530 which is 8"3.5'.
Before I bought it I was suspicious of the nefarious 7ft measurement so I asked for confirmation of the length and was confirmed as 8"3.5'
I believe the diameter of the Se5a prop which is featured on here is the same.
God this has got stressful!
I will update tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:37 AM   #17
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR44 View Post
The diameter from the stamps on the other side says 2530 which is 8"3.5'.
Before I bought it I was suspicious of the nefarious 7ft measurement so I asked for confirmation of the length and was confirmed as 8"3.5'
I believe the diameter of the Se5a prop which is featured on here is the same.
The link to the listing is no longer valid and just goes to the home page for Breedon Antiques, but the original listing also stated the length in inches, and I recall it to be around 84 inches, or just around 7 feet as stated elsewhere in the listing. I think that listing posted the figure in inches and decimals and may have been 84.3" or 83.4" or something similar. (Note that 8"3.5' literally means "8 inches, 3.5 feet", which obviously is not what you meant, but the numbers coincide with the stated size if expressed only in inches.)

I regret not taking a screenshot of the entire listing before it was re-directed, but it's clear even from the picture that part of the original prop is missing.

The diameter of 2430 doesn't match the drawing number of AB 8218, so I don't know what marking you are referring to in the above post. Can you please post a picture of the "stamps from the other side" that you reference? I've never seen it, and have been under the impression that it was stamped with AB8218. Your reference to "the SE5A prop which is featured on here" is very confusing to me. What prop is that?

It's fortunate that he will accept it in return for a full refund. This could have ended badly if not, and I'm guessing that the purchase did not go through eBay, which also offers some protection for this kind of "misunderstanding".

But I also question the validity of the Sopwith Camel prop linked in your original post. I'd say it's a reproduction prop until proven otherwise, and I don't see any evidence that it's an original that has just been recently re-varnished, as implied (but not stated) in his description.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
JR44
Forum Contributor

100_4563.jpg

100_4565.jpg

100_4566.jpg

100_4568.jpg

100_4569.jpg

100_4570.jpg
My that was confusing.
It looks great to me! The guy personally delivered it. He owns the antique shop in the advert but his daughter sells stuff on ebay.
It was part of his fathers collection but he left it all to his grand daughter!
Old 08-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #19
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Well, I still can't find that drawing number anywhere, and I also still have trouble understanding the stated 7 foot length and why this picture looks like a blade is shortened. Oh, well.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
JR44
Forum Contributor

In the advert it said approximately 7 feet, that's why I asked her to measure it exactly during initial discussions.
Those photos certainly looked strange.
It's a bit odd about the drawing number. Can it be dated?
It's a beautiful thing.