Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 03-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
CWF

Default Identifying broken propellor

My late grandfather worked as an inspector at the Gloster Aircraft Company, signing off aircraft as fit to fly.

On his passing over a decade ago, I inherited a single blade of a broken wooden propeller that had languished in his workshop but which has hung in my office ever since.

From the attached two images, if the blade can be dated or the aircraft type that it came from identified, I will be very grateful.

Many thanks for any endeavours or success!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190106172506.jpg (114.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 190106172519.jpg (85.7 KB, 10 views)
CWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

It's a nice "piece of something" that would be very collectible if intact as the entire item. As it is, however, it's impossible to know any more than it's a piece of a British manufactured Chauviere propeller. There are no physical characteristics that can identify it beyond that.

I think that it's fair to presume that it's likely WW1 era, and I think that under the circumstances it should be kept as a family heirloom, and its value is likely to increase over the years, even if it can't be accurately identified. Just my opinion.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
CWF

Many thanks for your swift and helpful reply, as a consequence of which I have learned of Lucien Chauvière and his contributions to propeller design.

My example will remain on the wall, framing my office window, as the family heirloom that you mention!

Thanks again.
CWF is offline   Reply With Quote