Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Scimitar Prop - help w/identifying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Scimitar Prop - help w/identifying?

Hi! Deco-dog here; first time poster, previous lurker. Thanks in advance for any help/info you can offer on this prop.

I have what I believe to be an early scimitar wooden prop that measures 8' 4" long with a hub thickness of just over 4". Widest portion of blade is 9". No holes ever drilled for engine mounting. Likely surplus that was never used/sold.

I noticed it's similar to a Hartzell Liberty and Bristol F2b pictured on this site, but the curve of this one is more pronounced. My best guess is for the Curtiss JNC4, can anyone confirm? There are no markings or decals at all, only the number stamped in shown in the photos.

I believe the finish to be original and no real damage to speak of. It's a nice dark wood, likely oak from my best guess.

I would like to confirm what aircraft it was likely used for and a manufacturer if possible? I plan on selling it and would also like to determine a value range.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Attached Files

Hi,
    Sorry for possible disappointment, but, IMHO, with this kind of marking, I am afraid it is not possible to know which was its use, nor exactly when it was made.
    Regards,
    PM

PS: MP sent to Deco-dog with some "facts" (to my knowledge).
    Last edited by pmdec; 04-29-2014, 12:11 AM. Reason: Too harsh first statement...

Comment

Thanks pmdec,

I will be interested to hear your thoughts via pm.

Deco-dog
      Last edited by Deco-dog; 04-29-2014, 04:48 PM. Reason: Change of info.

Comment

My GUESS is that it was one of several similar designs made for an OX5 engine. The hub is the right thickness and appears to be about the right size, as is the length of 8'4". I have seen similar serial number stampings as this, with two asterisks on each side of the number. The absence of other stampings or decals and the absence of bolt hole drilling suggests that it was rejected in the latter stages of manufacture for some reason. The American Propeller Company (Paragon) produced 25,000 wooden propellers by the end of WW1, so it's not surprising that there were a number of rejects in that lot. There were other manufacturers of similar looking props as well.

Unfortunately, there is no way to positively identify it beyond just speculation. I would expect a reproduction prop to also have reproduction stampings to make it look more authentic, and these are beginning to appear in some quantity on the market now.
        Dave

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
          X