Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Sopwith Camel propeller linen tips

Hello all,

I am adding fabric tips to a new made mahogany AD propeller and would like to see some photos of original tips. This will be flown on an aircraft so it needs to be correct not simply cosmetic.

Sincerely
    Koz
    Attached Files

Hi Koz,

Tom, I need to get my Camel prop and Pup prop into better light to get some good photos. One thing I can tell from just looking at them is that the fabric seems very thin, and it first looks like it's just paint, but you can see a faint line where the thicker fabric is overlapped by the paint over the tips, and on the only Camel prop I have there is some chipping of the paint that shows definite fabric beneath it. The Pup prop might have more useful information and I'll try to get some detailed photos in the next day or two.

Maybe Bob or pmdec will have some authoritative literature on the process, which would likely be better than trying to figure it out from guessing exactly what's under the paint.

Dave

Comment

Here are some photos of the front and rear of the Sopwith Pup propeller and the Camel propeller. They are compressed but I can easily show more detail if needed and I can easily get photos of the other blade if that might help.

It is apparent the the paint overlaps the fabric edge by about 1/2" on both of them, and on the Pup it's apparent that the fabric overlaps the trailing edge and appears to be doubled for about 3/4" or so on the rear of the blade. I suspect that the same procedure was used on the Camel prop and it's just filled with enough paint to obscure the overlapping edge. I think that this is consistent with other tips that I've seen.

Let me know if you need specific photos or other information. Sorry for taking longer than expected.

Attached Files

Comment

Camel Prop

Thanks Dave. Here is the project. Hope to fly in a few years.

Tom
        Attached Files

Comment

Gorgeous.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

How wonderfully ineffably beautiful!

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
            X