Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with ID

Hi all,
    I need some help with identifying the age/use of two propellers which my father has had stored away for the past 30+ years.
    I believe both are exactly as they would have been on the aircraft (except with lots of dust!)

One is marked 200hp Sunbeam Arab and the other is marked 300hp Hespano Suiza.

If I get all the numbers etc off the hub will anyone be able to help me out?

Thanks in advance

The numbers are an essential first step. PHotos might be helpful but we can start with the numbers themselves.
    Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,
      I have noted down the numbers etc off the hubs (as best as I can tell through the grime).

First propeller is:

AB822441
      200 hp Sunbeam Arab I
      D2940
      P2580
      10 holes in hub and propeller appears to be covered (or at least partially) in some kind of canvas or similar.

Second one is:

DRG.L.5270.A
      300 hp Hispano Suiza
      Martinside F4
      G1018. N92
      8 holes in hub.

Many thanks

Comment

The drawing number AB8224 is listed as being used on a Cuckoo with a Sunbeam Arab, and those are the correct diameter and pitch for that model.

The second one is also listed, drawing number L 5420 ("L" for Lang) and had a diameter of 2660mm and a pitch of 1980 mm. As stamped, it was used on a Martinsyde F4 ("Buzzard") with a 300 HP Hispano Suiza engine. It was introduced at the end of the War and production stopped because of that.
        Dave

Comment

Thanks very much for that Dave, they are some pretty old items then!
          Been doing a bit of googling and found that 333 F4's were made with just 1 surviving in a museum in finland.
          232 cuckoos were built, some with viper engine and some Arab.

Can you tell me are these props quite rare or do you see a few? Just it seems that not many air frames were built at the time?

Do you think they are something a collector would be interested in as the are just sat collecting dust?!

Thanks again

Jamie

Comment

Jamie,

I've tried sending you a PM but not sure if it worked or not. Could you let me know if you've received a message from me? If not, let me know and I'll try again.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by JamieD
              Thanks very much for that Dave, they are some pretty old items then!
              Been doing a bit of googling and found that 333 F4's were made with just 1 surviving in a museum in finland.
              232 cuckoos were built, some with viper engine and some Arab.

Can you tell me are these props quite rare or do you see a few? Just it seems that not many air frames were built at the time?

Do you think they are something a collector would be interested in as the are just sat collecting dust?!

Thanks again

Jamie
              They are very much collectible, especially in original condition. See this page of some of the better ones in my own collection. Always interested in acquiring more.
              Dave

Comment

Hi,

May I come and see your props? You will recall that I live in Doncaster near you. Or can you send me photographs? My main interest is in obtaining photographs for a book that I am writing. I might be interested in buying them. But in any case I can advise you on their value.

With regards,

Bob
                www.aeroclocks.com
                Bob Gardner
                Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
                X