No announcement yet.

Graheme White propellor identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh! Thank you very much for your so kind words, perfide Albion! And, more seriously, I hope we will don't have the opportunity to check this again...

PM

Comment

Pierre-Michel,

I was worried, having pulled your leg, that you might have taken offence. I'm glad you didn't.

Continuing my parody on European nations, when I was in the British Army, stationed in Germany, I was the chairman of a small NATO sub committee. One of the members was a Luftwaffe officer.

After a few beers at lunch time he asked me if I had noticed that the British and the Germans fought each other at least once every century. I nodded.
      'Next time,' he said, 'it is your turn to have the Italians as your allies.'

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
        Pierre-Michel,

I was worried, having pulled your leg, that you might have taken offence. I'm glad you didn't.

Continuing my parody on European nations, when I was in the British Army, stationed in Germany, I was the chairman of a small NATO sub committee. One of the members was a Luftwaffe officer.

After a few beers at lunch time he asked me if I had noticed that the British and the Germans fought each other at least once every century. I nodded.
        'Next time,' he said, 'it is your turn to have the Italians as your allies.'

With kind regards,

Bob
        Thanks for the laugh before breakfast.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it!

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob,
            Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
            .../... I'll photograph it when the sun next shines. .../...
            Everybody knows that England is a rainy country, and I was just asking myself if one month without sun was normal or if it has to be recorded?

Best regards,
            PM

Comment

Grahame-White propellor identification

Hi, sorry for not following the thread. Attached are a couple of pictures of the decals which I hope help.

My grandfather had this propeller on the wall at home all his life. He joined the RFC and flew as an artillery observer in France for most of 1917 and early 1918 after which he was invalided home, eventually and reluctantly leaving the RFC in late 1919. As we understand it he bought the propeller not long after the war, had the barometer fitted and hung it on the wall where it remained for 50 years. It's moved twice since, most recently onto my wall which explains the two cross-headed bolt heads. He never explained its history, but he didn't talk much about that whole period at all. We've always suspected the propeller had some special appeal. We don't believe he ever flew a plane to which it was attached so it was probably of practical/historic interest to him. He loved flying and might well have been interested in the story of flight. He re-joined the RAF 1940-46.
              Attached Files

Comment

Well, they're in beautiful condition. Thanks for posting them.

Comment

Working...
                X