Early British Integral propeller - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks, Bob

I am rather enjoying the puzzle, although the prop' goes back on the wall tomorrow, so I only have one more night of squinting. Am I looking at the line immediately above the engine designator (H.P. 120. A.D.)?

I had taken a guess that the engine designator might relate to the Austro Daimler 120hp. This clue, coupled with the likely pusher nature of the propeller, led me to think it might be from the FE2a which I believe were all refitted with the 120hp engines, or perhaps one of the early FE2b's which had the same engine.

But there is one other interesting possibility. I believe the prototype Airco DH3 had two pusher engines, both Austro Daimler 120's. Could the NO 3 marking on the propeller relate to the DH3? Could the L.H. marking relate to Left Hand?

Intriguing.

I will re-examine the serial numbers this evening. Fingers crossed.

Thanks once again for your continued help. Its very much appreciated

Paul

Comment

Paul,

I posted the book to you this afternoon.

The layout of the data on your hub will be spaced thus;

I P C
      DG 2367
      D 2 40
      P 2 80
      H P 110 LE RHONE
      DE H 5

The above data comes from Fig 125 in my book. It was stamped by hand and is decidedly higgeldy-piggeldy. I spaced it exactly in my draft but the website has tidied it!

Happy squinting!

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Gardner; 09-06-2018, 02:00 PM.
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
        Pierre-Michel,

Bonjour mon ami!

Could you look at the French databases for Integrale to see if Lucien Chauvière made a 3000mm two bladed prop. As you will have seen above, Paul's 3000mm Integral is not in the British list.

Avec le respect,

Bob
        Hi Bob,

No 3000 mm in the French database I have. But there are some Chauvière this size in "American Papers" published mid-18 or 19:
        - serial 1660, with 3.55 meters pitch (!!!) for MF 40 with Renault 130 HP
        - serial 2598, with 3.40 meters pitch (!!!) for MF 40 with Renault 130 HP
        - serial 2672, with 2.10 meters pitch for MF 40 with Renault 220 HP
        - serial 2696, with 3.30 meters pitch (!!!) for MF 11 with Renault 130 HP
        - serial 2696-1, with 3.30 meters pitch (!!!) for MF ? with De Dion 130 HP.

So, all Farman pushers, probaly for geared engine except the 2672.

Regards,
        PM

Comment

Merci mon Ami,

This prop is thus something of a mystery.

The only solution I can think of is that this prop of Paul's was once longer than 3000mm, perhaps 3300mm, and has been shortened to 3000mm for some reason; the most likely one is to disguise landing damage to the tips.

I concede defeat !!

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I have my Grandfather's 2 blade wooden propeller, but I know not what plane it came from and would appreciate guidance. On each blade there is a label stating "The Integral Propeller Co Ltd for The Aircraft Co Ltd". On the boss there is the following on the laminates:
            D 2.50
            P 1.90
            HP 80 GNOME
            .....and this is written stacked as above. A guide to help me would be much appreciated..... Grandchildren growing and it will be good to educate them
            yours William Dreyer, Isle of Wight.

Comment

Can you post a photo of the stamped data and one of the entire propeller from the front? I would expect to see more stamped data to include a drawing number and likely a "G and N" number. I hate to ask, but can you see the other side of the hub? Sometimes the prop is hanging in such a way that all you see is one side.

(Sorry for the late response. The website had technical problems)

Comment

Working...
              X