Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wright A Prop? Flottorp HISPANOSUIZA 8 holes

Using your identification chart I am speculating my prop is from a Wright A

Can you please give me more scoop on what the stamped numbers convey? Will be glad to take/post additional photos.

Length: 8'4" D stamped on it
    HISPANOSUIZA stamped on it
    8 holes
    Bore: 3 1/8 inch
    bore hole diameter 6 5/8 inch
    Thickness 7 inches
    Stamping:
    SO75469 or SC75469 or 8075469
    8956 hand written
    Sticker: FLOTTORP MFG CO. GRAND RAPIDS and CHICAGO, USA

This is a prop from my grandfather who was a (pre?) WW1 test pilot and story goes he landed failed planes in trees so they could be examined and this is one of three props he kept. Thanks!
    Attached Files

You are on track. The Wright A engine was used on a number of aircraft. It was actually a Hispano Suiza engine (Hisso) built in the U.S. The stamping prefix is "SC" for "Signal Corps" and the number that follows is a Signal Corps serial number, which doesn't help much except that it's a relatively high number and "probably" reflects a manufacture in the early twenties.

The absence of "witness marks" on the hub suggests that the prop was never mounted and used. Many props were manufactured but became obsolete and were never actually mounted.

You have a rare and nicely preserved Flottorp decal with the Chicago location noted. There are several Flottorp descendants who would be interested in acquiring your prop if you are interested.

Can you post a picture of the whole propeller?

Comment

Working...
    X