Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible FE2b Propeller

Hello, Everyone,

My first post as a new member. I've come across what is purported to be a propeller from an FE2b. Two opposing blades have been removed. The propeller is metal-sheathed at the tips, and has been painted an overall dark green. The propeller is currently displayed at a local restaurant. Apparently, it was brought home after WW1, and passed through a number of people until it arrived at its current location.

I am hoping that someone here might be able to give me a few pointers on specific identification procedures. I don't want to approach the owners until I have a specific plan of investigation. Thanks for any assistance received.

Hello TP,

Welcome to our website.

Your prop sounds as though it might well be from a FE2.

It's commercial value is considerably reduced by the loss of two blades, from about $3000 usd to $300 usd. But it is a perfectly valid historical artefact. This is what they did to props after the war in order to get them home. So it's historical interest is not much reduced.

On the hub, usually on the side but possibly on the top, will be stamped data; if you can find the following stamps and tell us the numbers that follow them we can identify it.

D
    P

There will also be a drawing number. This is likely to be something like;

T5368
    T26005
    LP 982

It will also be marked for the engine, for example 160HP Beardmore

Good Luck,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi, Bob,

Thanks. This is just what I was looking for. I'll try to visit the restaurant when it's not open for business to look for this information and to get a few photos. I also want to try and get a match on the dark green using FS 595 chips. It looks suspiciously like RAF PC10 or NIVO, but it could just as easily have been applied any time after it arrived "home."

Thanks again,

Gary

Comment

Hi Gary,

Please let me know what you discover. There are so many variations on props that I am constantly finding aspects which I can add to my database.

Also, there are four small squares (usually !) on top of the prop where the blade meets the hub. These are about the size of your little finger nail. They are, in effect, airworthiness stamps from the Aircraft Inspection Department (AID). I enclose a photograph below. I am building up a database of these numbers.

Also (usually), near the boss on the top or bottom, you might find the makers name stamped in the wood.

With regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
        X