Help with ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Jim,

I have been researching your prop and I have discovered a number of possible answers to what it is, although I have no definitive answer, just a number of clues which seem useful at first sight.

First of all your prop is British and dates from the first two years of WW1 or just before it. The Schneider Trophy competition for seaplanes began in 1913 and the first race was won by a French aircraft, a Deperdussin, which probably used an Integrale prop.

The next year it was won by a Sopwith Tabloid. The makers, Sopwith, were based in Kingston as were Ebora, but this hopeful clue doesn't live up to its promise. Sopwith at this time primarily used Integrale props. However, during practice at Monaco it was discovered that the engine was running at peak revs for much of the time. In consequence a Lang prop was used for the race with the same diameter but a greater pitch. Lang later became the predominant maker of props for Sopwith duting WW1. It might just be that Sopwith took an Ebora prop to Monaco with them as well but didn't use it, but there is no evidence of this and even if they did, it would have bolt holes drilled so it was ready to fit to the aircraft in case of need at short notice.

The next race in 1919 was won by the Italians who also won in 1920 and 1921. Their props were made by Caproni. The British next competed in 1922 (when they won) with an engine developing 450hp. Your prop was designed for a much less powerful engine. So the only Schneider competition that your prop could come from is the 1913 race and it seems unlikely that it did, although not impossible.

As a result of winning the race, the Sopwith Tabloid was ordered by the Royal Navy (and a few to the RFC) and delivery began in mid 1914. In naval service it was called the Sopwith Schneider and was used as a floatplane, as was its derivative, the Baby. The Tabloids which went to the RFC were land aircraft with wheels and the name for these remained Tabloid. About 450 were delivered as Tabloids, Schneiders and Babies. I should add that although these three types had different official names, they were colloquially all referred to as Schneiders.

The design of prop for this aircraft was an Air Department of the Admiralty design, drg no AD500 and AD555. Ebora was a contractor to the Navy (and the Army). It is a possible that they made props for both the Schneider and Tabloid to the AD design but I have no evidence that they did. (So little can be discovered about early props that an absence of evidence is far less important than it might seem. Almost nothing is known about them which is why I am permanently doing my detective work!).

There is one final aspect. Seaplanes in naval service had brass sheathing to the tips of the blade, and sometimes for about the outer third of each blade, which protected them from FOD, water and hence erosion. Your prop has no brass and therefore probably is not from a seaplane. But the identical prop was used on the RFC aircraft, without brass. This prop had the drg number of AB555 where AB indicates the Air Board of the Army. It is possible that your prop is one of these, but it is a tenuous link. It requires Ebora to have made props for the RFC Sopwith Tabloid, which is unknown at the moment, and for the colloquial name of Schneider to have passed down successfully through three or so generations. Many families with a WW1 prop from a distant relative have no idea what aircraft it came from, as indicated in most of the questions asked of this forum. Nonetheless, the possibility is there. It needs further research, or more evidence to come to light. (I have umpteen thoughts at the back of my mind waiting for further evidence!).

In summary I'm happy to report that I have completely failed to prove that your prop has no Schneider connections and there seem to be two possibilities that it has. Keep looking, and so will I. Have you come to terms with being a civilian? I haven't and I have been out for fifteen years!

With best wishes,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the research Bob. Your help is invalulable. BTW as for retirement, I couldn't just walk completely away. I've taken a job as a T-6 simulator instructor here at Sheppard AFB Texas teaching our NATO pilots primary flying. NOT Full time though!

Jim

Comment

Working...
      X