WWII Piqua Ohio Hartzell propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Piqua Ohio Hartzell propeller

I recently bought this propeller and am concerned about its authenticity. It is a 90" 8 bolt Hartzell prop. Piqua, Ohio. Iam concerned because the stamping doesn't look like the other ones I've seen. Nor do the decals. I paid quite a bit for it and do not want a repro. Please help, I have 14 days to return
    Attached Files

things to think about

Just thought I would post a few observations about this prop you have posted here. First of all, the decal is suspect, they are easy to reproduce, but I have never seen a clear hartzell decal like that one that lets the wood grain show through, that doesnt mean they didnt use that style, but its looks too new and too clear to be a vintage one. The stamping is suspect as well, look at how the letters are crooked and the piqua ohio doesnt look right either. Patina is easy to fake if you know what your doing, over all, the prop looks great but if indeed its been faked with what ever technique that was or wasnt applied, amazing how the tips have a certain worn look but the over all condition of the wood is just too clean and shiney.

When you say you paid a high price for it, to me that prop would have been spendy if you paid over $800.00 for it, but as with anything, its worth what ever someone will pay for it on any given day. With all due respect and not to slight your prop, it isnt rare, but it does have a great look to it. I will close for now and see what lamar and dave and bob have to say, those gentleman have a much more discerning eye than I do, but for my 8 cents worth, I say, it does have a few suspect elements to it, and again, I may be totally off base here. As with anything, caviet emptor.

Sincerely,
    J. Dennis Hicklin
    Seattle Washington
    Attached Files

Comment

I think it's authentic, but may have been partially refinished. Mis-stampings seem to be relatively common on older propellers.
      Dave

Comment

I too think it's authentic. I suspect the decal looks transparent and faded because the surface has been removed by partial refinishing. Pretty nice looking prop though.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
        X