Small wooden propeller ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small wooden propeller ID

Hello , I have a wooden propeller that came from my grandfather who passed away . The story behind it is that it's a propeller from a plane he shot down in the Korean War. It's wooden with red tips, it says US propellers inc on it. It also has a number 22008 with SER 715J stamped Under it in ink . Engraved next to where it would bolt to the motor it has the serial number 715J stamped again which I am assuming it's a serial number. We really want to know what type of plane it came from if possible ? It's pretty small so we think it may of been a target practice plane. Any possible planes from that time period that would use it?

It's a target drone propeller. That design number is very common. There were likely hundreds and may thousands of them sold off as surplus.

Your grandfather may in fact have shot the plane down in the Korean War, but it would only have been done during gunnery practice.

Comment

Thanks for your help ! Is it possible for a wooden propeller like that to survive the drone crash ? Seems kinda hard to believe , it does have a few Knicks in it but it's not broken.

Comment

Probably not, but you can often tell if it's even been mounted by the presence or absence of an indentation where the pressure plate clamps the hub ("witness marks") in a circular pattern around the bolt holes.

Most of these were sold as surplus. It's common for artifacts like this to pick up some tall tales that aren't actually accurate.

Comment

My grandfather also served in the Korean War from (I think) 54-56. He passed away in late 2015. It was always my understanding that he shot the plane down and has the propellor from it. My dad remembers it back from as long as he remembers as a kid. My grandfather was on the riffle team and participated in the riffle and pistol matches. Also says 22008. Has different serial number on it W670.
          Ambernink@ yahoo.com

Original poster- did you ever find more information about yours???
          Attached Files

Comment

That's quite plausible, as it was a target drone.

Comment

Working...
            X