Avro 504N propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avro 504N propeller

Just thought I would post pictures of my own prop.

Markings on the boss are as follows:-
    A4128
    Drg No Y573/8
    AVRO 504N
    LYNX MK3/4
    D8-6 P5.1
    12/30

This propeller is interesting in that it can be linked, with some degree of certainty, to a particular aeroplane. It was acquired from an RAF Air Cadet Group asset disposal in Southern England. It came with a plaque explaining that it was removed from Avro 504N 'K2376', of No.501 (County of Gloucester) squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force. The RAF Museum, London has confirmed K2376 was indeed an Avro 504N that was transferred to Central Flying School (Wittering) in June 1933. After some other movements, she was allocated to 501sq (Filton) in March 1936. It is believed this prop was removed sometime after this date due to some damage to the rear of one of the blades. K2376 was later transferred to 602sq (Renfew, Scotland).

There is only one complete example of an 504N in the world, at The Danish Collection of Vintage Aircraft, Lufthavnsvej, Stauning, DK-6900, Skjern, Denmark.

Please enjoy the pictures:-

Excellent ! Avro 504N props are quite rare. I think this is the first that I have seen. Thank you.

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Beautiful prop with a great heritage, too. How unique!

Comment

Avro 504N propeller

Many thanks Bob and Lamar for your comments.

I was unaware of its rarity. With that in mind, I do not have it specifically covered on any insurance (In my defence I will say that I have not actually owned it for that long). Would either of you be able to give me some idea of its approximate value?

Many thanks in advance guys (and no problem if you cannot)

Tony

Comment

Hi Tony,

Not only have I not seen a Lynx 504 prop before but this variety of drawing number isn't in my list of many hundreds of British drg nos, so I now have several hundreds, plus one! Thanks.

There are two values for a late 504 prop, around 1930; if offered at auction in the UK it might sell for say £600 gbp, 1100 usd. A similar 504 prop restored and offered for sale by a dealer might be £1200 gbp, $2100 usd. This is the insurance value.

Early 504 and 504A props are from fighting aircraft in the first years of WW1 and are more valuable, perhaps £1800 gbp, $3200 usd, from a dealer.

The provenenace with yours adds to the interest and probably the value, so if offered at auction might reach £1000 gbp, $1800 usd.

With regards,

Bob Gardner
          Bob Gardner

Comment

propeler identifcation

I have just discovered this site mabey someone could help me identifey a propellor that my father gave me . It is a light colour wood with metal edjes 80 " tip to tip .Stamped in the wood is DRC or G 100B, SER A1368, DIA 80, PIT 527 Their are 8 holes arround the center hole.It looks like the Avro 504 prop pictured in a post on Jan 29

Comment

Re: propeler identifcation

Originally posted by Steve
              I have just discovered this site mabey someone could help me identifey a propellor that my father gave me . It is a light colour wood with metal edjes 80 " tip to tip .Stamped in the wood is DRC or G 100B, SER A1368, DIA 80, PIT 527 Their are 8 holes arround the center hole.It looks like the Avro 504 prop pictured in a post on Jan 29
              Steve,
              At 80 inches in length, it is more likely that it is a more "modern" propeller than the Avro. There was a model 100B used on the Curtiss F Boat, but it should be 8'2" or 8'4" in length. You might try taking some photos and posting it in the "Modern" propeller category forum and see if anyone can identify it from that.
              Dave

Comment

AVRO 504N prop

Hi

Help me out here, is the diameter 8´ 6" or 8´ - (minus) 6" ??
                and pitch is 5.1 ?

Jan

Ps I am going to design a scale like prop for a full scale 504N but with a Rotec 3600 engine, spinning the prop at 2400 RPM, it will be smaller but can be made look similar.

Comment

The data on the hub of this prop reads Diameter 8' 6" ( eight feet, six inches). Pitch is written as 5.1' which indicates five feet, one point two inches.

From 1908 to 1920, French aviation led the world so propeller dimensions were in their currency, millimetres; typically Diameter 2400, Pitch 1950.

From 1918 onwards the British began to use Imperial measurements, initially written as 8' 6" and generally (but not always) this quickly changed to a decimal presentation where a prop of ten feet ten inches would be described as D 10.83'

This prop above seems to use both types of Imperial notation.

With regards,

Bob
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

I have a similar original 1926 prop from an Avro 504 Lynx. Was made for the Swedish army, but was never used. An uncle had it when he worked as an aircraft engineer at Bristol. We are moving to a smaller house and wondered if you might have any suggestions of where to sell it.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by billhopley; 02-09-2012, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X