Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Buying and Selling > Selling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
IndianRiverMan
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: FLorida
Posts: 3
Smile Friend has an S & S prop and wants information on this propeller...

Have several photos of the prop, the hub, the markings and the stamps belonging to a friend of mine in Nova Scotia! He is not online and asked me to do some research on the history of the prop for him.

The prop is in great shape and was his brother's (who passed) for many many years... Great to see Short family members on this forum but was hoping more would be posted on the history of the S & S propeller plant

My email is: todster77@gmail.com

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 092811095154.jpg (59.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 092811095206.jpg (57.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 092811095217.jpg (47.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 092811095251.jpg (52.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 092811095348.jpg (45.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by IndianRiverMan; 10-26-2011 at 10:31 AM.
IndianRiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
IndianRiverMan
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: FLorida
Posts: 3
Default

SER A 2941 <--- is stamped on the prop. Not exactly sure how to upload photos to here because I do not know the "url" of the images. Can anyone help in this regard?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 092811095433.jpg (50.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 092811095446.jpg (50.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by IndianRiverMan; 10-26-2011 at 10:33 AM.
IndianRiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
Dave
Forum contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianRiverMan View Post
SER A 2941 <--- is stamped on the prop. Not exactly sure how to upload photos to here because I do not know the "url" of the images. Can anyone help in this regard?
For the full description of photo uploading, go here.

The short version is that if they are on your computer click "Edit" on your post, then "Manage Attachments" then "Browse" to find them on your computer and upload them from there.

If they are hosted on a website, open them there then click on the address bar at the top of the screen and copy and paste that long "url", which will start with "http://" and have lots of things after it. Paste that onto the thread or else click the picture icon at the top of the message box and follow the prompt to add the url there.
__________________
Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
IndianRiverMan
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: FLorida
Posts: 3
Default

Thank you Dave! Seems like the photos are now posted. Plus I sent you and Bob (I think) and Deb some information on the company that I researched this morning via email...
IndianRiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
Dave
Forum contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,832
Default

Haven't seen the decoration around the hub before, nor the indented hub face with stampings around it. I wonder if that's all original factory appearance? If so it's very interesting.
__________________
Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #16
billboz
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2
Default Light finish S&S Avro Anson prop

Really glad to have found this forum so I can learn more about a prop my father purchased at Eaton's in Winnipeg in 1945. It hung in my grandma's basement until we shipped it to our home in Ontario in the 1970's.

I am having a mount made by a local welder to hold it on the wall. Happy to share the plans which are pretty simple.

I have attached 3 photos that show it with a chain mount just before I moved it and the plans for the mount the welder will make for it.

Oops, I guess I posted in the wrong sub-forum. The propeller is definitely not for sale. This is the only place where I could find info on the exact propeller I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200201_114520980.jpg (91.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200201_114538512.jpg (90.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200201_114532299.jpg (92.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by billboz; 04-15-2020 at 03:57 PM.
billboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #17
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billboz View Post
Really glad to have found this forum so I can learn more about a prop my father purchased at Eaton's in Winnipeg in 1945. It hung in my grandma's basement until we shipped it to our home in Ontario in the 1970's.

I am having a mount made by a local welder to hold it on the wall. Happy to share the plans which are pretty simple.

I have attached 3 photos that show it with a chain mount just before I moved it and the plans for the mount the welder will make for it.
I don't think you should sell it. If you know the family history goes back 75 years you'll never get one to replace it.

Keep it and hand it down to grandchildren or other descendants.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:13 AM   #18
Mtskull
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billboz View Post
Really glad to have found this forum so I can learn more about a prop my father purchased at Eaton's in Winnipeg in 1945.
This propellor is not keeping its secrets as well as some do: All the information is very clear. Manufacturer, serial number, date of manufacture, the lot.
At risk of stating the obvious, it is for an Avro Anson Mk1 with Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah engines.
Judging by the absence of any witness marks on the hub, I would suggest that it was sold as surplus after the end of WW2, having never been fitted to an aircraft.
What a lovely prop!
Mtskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #19
billboz
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2
Default

Thank you for the info regarding the engine for which this prop was designed.

You are correct that there are no marks on the mounting holes that would indicate it had ever flown.

I was going to get a mounting plate welded but in the end decided to go with just two 8" x 1/2" lag bolts mounted into the wall stud. I drilled pilot holes and used a ratchet to place the lag bolt about 2.5" into the stud and 0.5" of drywall.

I then hack-sawed the heads off the bolts which left 2 studs sticking 5" out of the wall. It was then a simple matter to slide the prop onto the studs. The studs were placed so they went into the prop at the 6 and 12 o'clock position.

Brass caps were then placed on 4" x 1/2" threaded rod and simply placed in each of the holes as a decorative touch. I had to shorten the threaded rod at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions due to the support bolts.

Here is a photo of the prop mounted on the wall. It appears to float and I am very pleased how it turned out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prop IMG_20200414_164433113.jpg (105.6 KB, 7 views)
billboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:47 PM   #20
Mtskull
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billboz View Post
thank you for the info regarding the engine for which this prop was designed.

You are correct that there are no marks on the mounting holes that would indicate it had ever flown.

I was going to get a mounting plate welded but in the end decided to go with just two 8" x 1/2" lag bolts mounted into the wall stud. I drilled pilot holes and used a ratchet to place the lag bolt about 2.5" into the stud and 0.5" of drywall.

I then hack-sawed the heads off the bolts which left 2 studs sticking 5" out of the wall. It was then a simple matter to slide the prop onto the studs. The studs were placed so they went into the prop at the 6 and 12 o'clock position.

Brass caps were then placed on 4" x 1/2" threaded rod and simply placed in each of the holes as a decorative touch. I had to shorten the threaded rod at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions due to the support bolts.

Here is a photo of the prop mounted on the wall. It appears to float and i am very pleased how it turned out.
very nice!
Mtskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
s&s propeller winnipeg

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.