WWI Era Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWI Era Prop

My grandfather flew in NY Air National Guard in the WWI era. Many years ago my father passed a propellor to me that is 8-1/2 feet in diameter, 8 mounting hole, 2-5/16 inch hub inner diameter and a 7-1/8 inch hub outer diameter. On the hub are stamped two numbers: "ERIE No 327" and "No 1438". The prop is wooden only (i.e. no metal cladding on the tips at all). I believe this propeller came off of a Jenny sometime around 1920.

What can you tell me about this particular prop?

Thanks for any help?

Bob

EDIT: Photos added

Actually, Bob, I think that propeller is for a French Caudron G3 or G4 airplane, using a 90 HP Anzani engine. The "Erie" stamp is more likely to have been "Serie", designating the drawing number of 327, which shows up in a AEF listing as being used on both models of the Caudron. The length is listed at 2.6m and the pitch 1.6m. I've got a 90 HP Anzani prop and I'll measure the hub to see if they match. You can see the simliarity, at least, to this propeller for the same aircraft but with a different engine. I'll try to compress your photos and add them to your post.

Comment

You're right about the "Serie". There is a very faint "S" that I did not notice.

Hmmm. So this did not come off of a Curtis Jenny then?

Bob

Comment

So this did not come off of a Curtis Jenny then?
        Not unless it just happens to fit an OX5 or a Hisso hub, which I doubt it does, but I'd need some more accurate measurements, e.g. the bolt hole circle diameter and the hub thickness. It certainly wasn't built to be used on a Jenny.

Comment

The bolt hole circle radius is 4-11/16". The hub thickness (I assume you mean front-to-back) is 4-3/8". If you meant hub thickness in the radial direction (hub inner to hub out diameter) that is 2-5/16" inch.

This is really interesting. I was always told this came off a Jenny, but after 80-90 years, who knows.

Thanks again for info.

Bob

Comment

At least it's from the same period. You wouldn't believe how many props that "came off a Jenny" were built about 30 years after the Jenny was "gone".

Comment

Thanks, Dave.

Comment

Working...
              X