PT-1 prop in hoarder’s basement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT-1 prop in hoarder’s basement!

PT-1 prop found in the basement of a gentleman who passed away. Info on the hub seems a little confusing the PT1 used an eight cylinder Hispano. Not a Wright of 198 hp. Does anyone have any info on this prop?317AC83A-CC1F-4E98-B773-5EC251428E00.jpg

4BECB472-082B-4DE9-8572-801A6EC2186B.jpg

60E0B9B3-DF6E-4102-B991-4FBBB2F37338.jpg

1D640E69-ECB0-44EA-A471-383BD5689987.jpg

Horsepower often does not match what is stamped on the hub.

I know that Hartzell made some props for the PT 1, and I'll try to look through some of my materials to see what was stamped on theirs.

I did sell one (a scimitar shape) to some officer's or reserve's club that's near the Capitol building in Washington, DC. I believe it's hanging up there if you ever get to DC.

Comment

Here it is on the PT1
      Attached Files

Comment

So I think the stamping of "Wright" can be misleading, particularly if you try to match the horsepower with an engine specification. Wright manufactured Hisso engines with their name, and various models of the Wright-Hispano-Suiza had horsepower ratings ranging from 150 HP all the way up to 375 HP. (NASM link.)

The Cyclone was a different beast altogether, but also built by Wright.

I've seen a number of propellers of all types stamped with horsepower that didn't match the specification sheets, some of which were amended at a later date, long after the prop had been manufactured. See also this link to get some idea of the multiple variations of the basic Hisso design.

Your propeller is pretty well established as matching that aircraft, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
        X