Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Design and Manufacturing > Show and Tell

Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
stephenk

Thanks so much for your thoughts Dave. Being four blades, and the size would you think this was from a large size aircraft, and would you think military or a domestic transport plane? I guess there isnt much point in donating it to a museum without knowing what its from, and I would further assume it to have little dollar value does anyone have an inkling of what it might be worth?

Steve
stephenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
Dave

I think it has zero value to a museum and very little if any value to a collector, but sometimes people buy things thinking they are worth a lot because they resemble something that is.

That's one of the reasons that "value" is nearly impossible to determine, unless you actually sell it.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
stephenk

OK well thanks again for your thoughts, sorry to have wasted your time. I wouldnt dream of selling something that only resembles something that has a value; I have a little more integrity than that. Its difficult to sell anything without knowing what something might be worth which was why I asked for your opinion for a dollar value. Plainly though this dismembered prop is old as you say it has little or no value so I will dispose of it accordingly. Thanks again to everyone for thier thoughts, I wish you all well.
Steve
Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #14
Dave

I wouldn't throw them away. I'd put them on eBay with a low opening bid and no reserve and see what you get for them. Someone probably wants them, and could assemble them in a creative and decorative way.

If they all are identical, then it looks to me that the hub could be reassembled and epoxied or glued together and still function adequately as a display prop. (BTW, if that's the case then you should be able to ascertain the drawing number, which might further identify it.)
Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
stephenk

Two very good ideas which I must confess I didnt think of. I only pulled one of the blades out of storage for the photos because they are all the same so I didnt check for numbers on any other blades. On the one I took pics of the only number was '11'. I will look at the others for any other marks or numbers. The Ebay idea is a great one, allthough I didnt start out wanting to sell it per se but I'm not using it as it wouldnt suit the decor of my home, so, unless there is anyone in this forum interested I might well do that and again I thank you for help. If I find any nubers I will write back.