X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Four bladed Propeller

Hi
    I´m a happy new owner of a propeller.
    I stumbled over it in a small antiques store in the Swedish contry side.
    I never had a particular intresst in propellers but when I saw this one I fell in love instantly. I think I'm hooked on propellers from now on.

According to the markings it's for The SE5a with the 200 HP Hispano engine

See pictures at:https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/5608...eller?h=1ed9c2

I would be most great full if any one can fill me in on more historical facts.
    Yes, I saw an almost identical one in the Gallery. I havn't been able to find a picture of a SE5 with a four bladed prop.

/Fredrik

appreciation of 4 blades X

Bravo Fred, great buy first time out, and indeed, this prop is a very fine example of great craftsmanship. It just makes me appreciate the vast realm of europe that much more. Envious, hell yes, seems that the lucky people in europe are blessed to have that natural element of living in a place where these treasures are still surfacing from basements and attics and where ever.

That is a unique wall mount, at least it allows the prop to be spun and not have to worry about the blades hitting anything, I appreciate it more when a prop can be spun to watch it in motion in such displays, especially if the mounts are not motorized.

Welcome to the world of addiction in the form of amazing airscrews made of wood. Purely out of curirosity, may I iquire as to how much you paid for that in the antique shop?

I just want to prepare myself should the opportunity ever arise if I get to europe.

Dennis.

Comment

Hi Dennis
      You are soo right , it was the craftmanship that caugt my attention in the first place, and the fact that it's four bladed just makes it more impressive.
      I'm into vintage scandinavian furniture from the 50-60:ies just beacuse the style and craftmanship. And I have alwas been working with wood. As a kid I used to cut propellers
      just beacuse the shape is so facinating. So this item is kind of the essence of all things.

The price? Let's say it's about the same as what I spend on a good montain bike frame.
      And since I recently had knee surgery I don't need a new one right now.
      And I think old propellers are a better investment than bikes...

Fredrik

Comment

Nice elegant looking prop, Fredrik. Interesting that the drawing number doesn't appear in the lists I have, but Bob Gardner's book does have it listed for the SE5A, but with a 150 HP engine. I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy, but yours is clearly stamped for the 200HP version.

Now that you own a nice authentic prop, I would strongly suggest that you consider buying Volume 1 of Bob's book, British Propeller Makers of WW1 (or just go ahead and get the entire set). The drawing number is a Royal Aircraft Factory product, and his book has several photos of RAF props for the SE5A.
        Dave

Comment

Hi Dave
          There's actually a picture of an almost identical prop on Bob's web page
          Same drawing number and 200 hp http://www.aeroclocks.com/Prop_pages/2253.htm
          Mine doesn't have black tips or any decal, only the branding you allready seen.

fredrik

Comment

Working...
          X