Please help identify and value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help identify and value

Hello everyone. First time here. I have an opportunity to bid on a couple of old wooden propellers. I'm a student pilot and just getting in to aviation and thought these would be neat to have. Problem is I have researched for hours and can't figure out what they would go on or be worth and I am unable to physically see them. The info I have on one is its stamped10/27/1926 engine wright sn 070094 150 rpm and I think they measured it at 102" The second says PT-17 R-670-5 engine SN 43256 2075 rpm and about 68". I understand one of them have tips that appear sawed off but I'm thinking that's the design. I can't get better pics till the day of the sale so this is all I have to go on. Any help would be so much appreciated as I have no idea what to offer on them. Larmckinney@gmail.com Thank s for any help you can give. Larry
    Attached Files

The prop in the photos is a left hand thread, which is not consistent with use on the PT 17 (Stearman), which uses a right hand rotation. So I'm missing something on that one. Look up the "42K19593" on this page, to find that it corresponds to civilian model "90LA-76", then go to this page to see that it confirms use on a Boeing PT 17. But I can't explain the left hand thread on those photos. The "90" prefix in that design number indicates that it should have a diameter of 90 inches. (The "-76" indicates a pitch of 76 inches.)

Also, a prop of that type that is only 68" is almost certainly missing the original tips. You would expect it to be closer to 8 feet.

Are all 4 of those photos pictures of the same prop? It doesn't make much sense if they are.

Comment

Thanks for the info and your time. I think the first two pics are one prop and the other two are for another prop not showing the wing tips. I can't understand the PT verbiage if it didn't fit one. Sensenich firstvsaid it was theirs then said actually it wasn't by the model. I remember the seller saying sawed off tips but someone else said maybe an airboat prop. Thanks for the help I surely wouldn't think I could go wrong at 400 apiece but didn't want to miss out on something highly valuable. Again thanks for your time.

Comment

OK. That makes more sense. The PT 17 prop is not worth $400, as it's just a sawed hub. (It's junk to a collector, but someone could sell it on eBay.)

The other prop is worth $400 or more, even if not identified. It may be a pusher configuration and could even be an airship prop. If you can get it for that price, go for it. With more information it might be identifiable, and worth several times that initial price.

Comment

Thanks very much for the advise and info. Had another tell me about the exact same thing so I feel much better and sincerely appreciate your time. Have a great new year!

Comment

Working...
          X