Identification help for a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification help for a newbie

Hi, I'm not a collector but I bought this propeller at an antique shop because I thought it made a great wall hanging for my rec room and felt it was priced well. I'd appreciate any info on it that anyone might be able to provide me. I'm not even sure if it's legitimate or a possible reproduction. It has a brand name of McCauley, unless someone just put those decals on it. The center hole is 2 1/4" in diameter and the total length is 60". The following numbers are stamped in the wood underneath the hub: Model 60C-26 Serial 20490
    Thank you!
    Attached Files

It looks very much like an airboat propeller, but I can't be sure. If it's 5 feet in length that would be more consistent with airboat usage than it would be with certificated aircraft. I'm not aware that McCauley manufactured airboat props, but they may have.

Comment

Thanks for that info, it allowed me to broaden my search on the Internet and I was able to piece some things together. I'm now thinking that my propeller was made by Banks-Maxwell, because I've found some that were listed on eBay that look very similar to mine. Also, the format on the model numbers on them are consistent with mine. The first number being the length of the propeller (in inches) followed by a dash and then another two digit number. I'm guessing someone just put the McCauley decals on mine for looks, as they are in perfect condition. I'd still appreciate if anyone can confirm this and also advise if it is truly an airboat propeller. Is it at all possible that a 60" propeller was used on any airplanes?

Comment

The second number is the pitch, in inches. A 26 inch pitch is very "flat", which was typical for airboat propellers, as the flat pitch assists in "braking" when the power is reduced. It certainly looks like a Banks Maxwell, but lots of propellers look like lots of other propellers.

Most certificated aircraft props begin at 72 inches, although I've seen a few models in the 60s, but all of them have a "coarser" pitch. See this page to get an idea of "typical" aircraft propellers. All of the short props have much coarser pitches.

Some effort has been put into making that propeller a decorative item, as the hub plate is not original. I think you are correct in your assumption that the McCauley decals are add-ons.

Comment

Thanks for all the information Dave. Greatly appreciated!!

Comment

Working...
          X