Help identifying age and manufacturer of propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying age and manufacturer of propeller

I recently acquired a beautiful 99" wooden propeller and after hours of research and what feels like wooden propeller 101 I am no closer to identifying the age or maker. I will post every thing I know and hopefully someone can help. I believe this propeller is made of ash. It also looks like oak but doesn't feel as heavy as oak would be to me. The blades are trimmed in brass. There is a 1 and a 2 above and below the hub and 8 bolt holes. Bolt circle is 6 11/16ths. Bolt hole 1/2". Center bore 3 1/8ths. Hub thickness 6 1/2". Weight 35#'s. On the hub face is 4842. On the exterior side of the hub is 99-73 and what looks like RSH 248. The 2 could be a 3. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Beth
    Attached Files

It's most likely a Wright A engine propeller. The Wright A was a variation of the Hispano-Suiza built under license by the Wright Aeronautical Corporation during the end of WW1 and used on a variety of aircraft then and in subsequent years.

The "99 - 73" stamp most likely refers to its diameter and pitch in inches. The "1" and "2" are simply blade identifiers, of no significance. I don't know what "RSH 248" is but it mostly likely identifies a manufacturer's serial number or possibly "ASH" and a production number, but at 35 pounds it might still be oak rather than ash. These large props are deceptively light for their appearance.

Ninety nine inches (or 8'3") was a common diameter for JN 4C aircraft, which used the Wright A engine, so that would certainly be one of many possibilities.

The pristine appearing hub faces suggest that it was never mounted on an aircraft, and it was possible that it was rejected during production and kept as a souvenir.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to look deeper into this avenue.

Comment

Unfortunately, you may not be able to determine aircraft usage. Propellers were very much like tires in that they were fitted to specific engines, and those engines were used on a variety of different aircraft. They were also frequently replaced due to damage and/or normal wear. Their markings often just reflected a diameter and pitch and serial number, although often the engine and HP were specified. Rarely, the aircraft use was also stamped.

Comment

Thanks again. It's been very interesting studying all the propellers and aircraft. Great history lesson as well as great wall art.

Comment

Working...
          X