No announcement yet.

Known British Prop Makers of WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The huck starter shown is a Ford T and is the most usual basis for this type of equipment. A Crossley I have never seen, Peter Jackson has a Tender Chassis which is believed to be being built as a huck starter. Find attached the only reference I have to a Crossley Huck Starter, post war?

RFC Crossley Staff Cars have the same Chassis and Running Gear as a Tender, except for axle gearing.
    2 complete staff cars exist, both 1914, I have one which is completely original down to lights except for paint and leather, the other staff car has a new body copied from mine and is currently in Germany. I have the third Staff Car a 1916 which has been parked on the sea shore from the 1960's to the 1980's and was in very poor condition. parts have been sourced from South Africa, Ireland and Australia which will allow a rebuild.
    The Shuttleworth Crossley is a very good example of a the smaller civilian pre war 15hp and in looks is quite close to the RFC 20hp Crossley.

Complete Crossley Tenders are greater in number, The RAF museum have an example which has serious engine problems although they are trying to rectify them for the Centenary.
    Peter Jackson has an example as previously mentioned.
    There is an example in Manchester which was used in David Lean's film Ryans Daughter and as a result has both a replica bus and Tender body, the village bus body is currently fitted.
    A tender with a JOSEPH LUCAS van body is in private ownership in the south of England.
    My own example is the only one currently on the road and with its original body intact, this is the one shown in my previous post with it's trailer.
    There are numbers of kits of parts perhaps up to 4 in existence all in long term ownership but not for sale.

There are a handful of Civilian Edwardian Crossleys pre and post WW1, the newer Crossleys after 1920 up to 1938 are quite numerous.

Tom
    Attached Files

Comment

Here are a few images from Stow Maries Tender with Trailer
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X