Need help with this one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with this one

Well, it's certainly different looking, and pleasantly so. It looks like WW2 era, but we'd really need to be able to read the stampings to have any hope of identifying it.
    Dave

Originally posted by Dave View Post
    Well, it's certainly different looking, and pleasantly so. It looks like WW2 era, but we'd really need to be able to read the stampings to have any hope of identifying it.
    Yes that's the problem. No markings on the hub and whats on the prop is difficult. The back of the prop isn't so attractive. This is as clear as I can get the markings.
    Attached Files

Comment

I can almost read the stamping in the blade. I think a larger, hi res picture would help. If you have one would you please email it to me and I'll do my best.

Lamar

Comment

Also, sometimes setting up an additional light from the side will help highlight the stamped portion a little better.
        Dave

Comment

I cleaned prop and could read letters a bit better. This is what I can see:

ACGVGNO
          42W12335
          SER 650
          HP 160
          RPM 1650

The last 3 lines I'm almost positive but top two are iffy as you can see.

Comment

After looking at the hub dimensions section it seems that this prop did belong to a WW1 era aircraft because of the engine specs but I found no exact matches. Obviously American or British as the writing is English. 8 hub holes. 7.5 feet long. Anything???
            Last edited by SGL66; 07-11-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

The hub dimensions don't mean that it was WW1 era, but those dimensions are found on many WW1 propellers.

I suspect the 42W likely references a 1942 military contract, but most of those I've seen are stamped 42K instead of "W". Certainly the design is more typical of later aircraft, but the RPM stamping is more typical of earlier.

Mystery to me, so far.
              Dave

Comment

The hub dimensions don't mean that it was WW1 era, but those dimensions are found on many WW1 propellers.

I suspect the 42W likely references a 1942 military contract, but most of those I've seen are stamped 42K instead of "W". Certainly the design is more typical of later aircraft, but the RPM stamping is more typical of earlier.

Mystery to me, so far.
                Now that I look closer and cleaned some more I believe it is a K. The ink seems to have came off so it looked like a W. I did find another marker on top of the hub which looks like a G5044. Also, the prop tips are fabric. If that helps.

Comment

OK, here's your answer. Go to this page to find the military number, then look up the 90HA-84 or -86 number on this page to find that it was used on a Ryan aircraft, either a PT22 or an ST3KR, both using 160 HP Kinner engines. And 1942 would then have been the year the contract was awarded, so it could have been manufactured then or any time after that, although I believe the type certificate expired in 1956.

Also, according to the type certificate data, the RPMs should be 1850, not 1650.
                  Last edited by Dave; 07-12-2009, 12:34 PM.
                  Dave

Comment

OK, here's your answer. Go to this page to find the military number, then look up the 90HA-84 or -86 number on this page to find that it was used on a Ryan aircraft, either a PT22 or an ST3KR, both using 160 HP Kinner engines. And 1942 would then have been the year the contract was awarded, so it could have been manufactured then or any time after that, although I believe the type certificate expired in 1956.

Also, according to the type certificate data, the RPMs should be 1850, not 1650.
                    Wow, you're good. It could be 1850 hard to tell. I just hope it's worth some money because some sob just bashed in my rear door on my never damaged pick up truck in a Sam's parking lot. Probably $500 worth of body work.

Comment

THATS IT!!!! Dave you rock buddy!

Comment

Working...
                      X