Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently purchased a propeller

I am brand new to this forum...

My husband is a pilot and has wanted an authentic wooden propeller. I have purchased one for his Christmas present and I am trying to gather as much information as possible. It has lots of ID #s and things. It is 74"long, "Sensenich" decals on each blade, Model #74FCT48, serial # H9151. Metal edges, golden in color. The seller said it was vintage, and it certainly does not look like the replicas I've seen. The research I've done so far, seems to point to approx. 1946 as the year of manufacturing.

I was wondering if there was a way to find out what kind of plane it was used for or if its was possible to find out exactly which plane it was used on??

Welcome to the Forum smurffin. You will find the listing for your prop's design number here: http://www.modernwoodenpropellers.com/sensenich.htm and the date information here: http://woodenpropeller.com/Sensenichdates.pdf

Propellers are disposable items. The only way I can think of that you would know the exact aircraft would be to see it in the aircraft's maintenance log.

Lamar

Comment

Thank you Lamar! That at least does date the propeller to 1946 as I was told. So it is post WWII, then? The war was over by then. But, it is nice to know that it is very old! I do think my husband will be very happy with it regardless

Comment

I'd bet your husband will be happy with it. It's definitely vintage and definitely authentic.

Lamar

Comment

It fits a 1946 415C Ercoupe. That is the plane I own and fly regularly, want a photo of one?

Comment

That prop was used on your exact plane Don? What an amazing coincidence!

Lamar

Comment

Yep, my exact model is what it was used on. There are still quite a few of them flying, it was quite an innovative aircraft.
              That prop is fairly available I would suppose, since the "aluminum revolution" in propellers happened shortly after they were built. A few of them are still flying with wood props, but most all, including mine, were converted to metal propellers, mine was converted just a couple of years ago.
              I have managed to collect a few woodies, but have not snagged a 'coupe prop yet.

Comment

My misunderstanding - your model but not your exact aircraft. I thought perhaps you'd found the serial number in your maintenance logs. Still pretty neat though...

Lamar

Comment

Someday when I am looking for something to do, I am going back into its records to see if I can find a serial numbered prop installation. Not sure that info is recorded.
                  Sometimes that adds to the mystery of it all. For instance I have a prop off of the same MAKE AND MODEL plane Amelia Earhart flew on her first trans Atlantic flight. Pretty rare airplane in the US since it was made in England, it MIGHT be off her aircraft! (Her aircraft was parted out and no longer exists). I will never know for sure, but it holds significance to me that it MIGHT be hers..

Comment

Originally posted by DonFromTX View Post
                    ...I have a prop off of the same MAKE AND MODEL plane Amelia Earhart flew on her first trans Atlantic flight. Pretty rare airplane in the US since it was made in England, it MIGHT be off her aircraft!
                    Now that's a romantic mystery right after my own heart. What aircraft is that?

Comment

I mis spoke (typed), I meant solo across the north american continent and back . The airplane was an Avro Avian, previously owned by Lady Heath of England.

Comment

Working...
                      X