Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Guerin OX 5 prop

This email copied to this location by Bob Gardner

I have a OX5 propeller that I picked up at an estate auction intended to use as decor. Someone approached me and told me that it was real and offered me money for it, therefore I decided to research a bit before I just sold it.
    I would be happy to send pictures as well as paypal a fee to get your educated opinion on value, as I have no idea! Thank you kindly for your time Bob.

Kind Regards,

Peter Guerin
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

OX5 Propeller

Peter,

Thank you for your email. Please send us your photographs to this site. We'll be glad to help. We need an overall photo of the complete prop and detailed close ups of any data stamped on it.

There's no charge yet, but we are mulling over introducing one.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner

Comment

Prop Pictures

Bob-

Thank you kindly for communicating with me. I am attaching some pictures of the prop on this post.
      Attached Files

Comment

More Pictures

Here are some more photos of the prop. I contacted the owner of the estate and the only provenance it has is that his grandfather worked at Dallas Field during the 2 years it was a training facility in 1917-1919 and this was pulled off of a training "Jenny" that Eddie Rickenbacker had flown several times? It was always on his grandfather's wall and that was always the story he was told. What truth it holds he does not know!
        Total Length: 99"
        Hub Depth: 4"
        Hub Width: 2.69"
        Bolt Holes: 8
        Bolt Circle: 5.250
        Blade Tips are copper covered. Wood is 5 layer laminated with no apparent delamination or damage anywhere on the propeller.
        Attached Files

Comment

Last Pictures of Prop

Here are the last of the photos. Let me know if there are more you need! Thanks for your thoughts
          Attached Files

Comment

Peter,

It's rare to see a prop in such excellent original condition. No wonder someone wanted to buy it from you.

I don't have much expertise in American props so I won't trespass on Dave's ground. I'm sure he will be in touch soon.

Congratulations!

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

This prop is something of an enigma for me with respect to valuation. This model was actually produced in fairly large numbers, many of which were for the Canadian version of the JN4 Jenny, and they all became obsolete before they were consumed in normal use ("consumed" meaning that they were commonly damaged by accidents and even by heavy normal use on unimproved runways). So they are not rare in the strict sense of the word. On the other hand, many of them have been mangled by people trying to improve their appearance, so finding one in true original condition is difficult. I don't know if this one fits in that category, as I can't tell if there's been an effort at refinishing, but if it's truly un-touched since manufacture I would put its value roughly in the $3,000 range. If anything has been done to "improve" its appearance, the value is probably around a third of that.

If someone is offering a low price, and it is original, it's a good bet that they plan to flip it, making a profit in the process.

I don't believe the Eddie Rickenbacher angle for one second. At least not unless someone can provide positive proof of that.

Comment

Another Jenny Prop that doesn't look quite right. Over the last few years I have noticed an effort being brought forth to replicate this propeller in great detail and it truly scares me. There have been several examples of this propeller brought to market looking to good to be true. This one shows an all gold leaf Paragon logo and on every one I have seen, "paragon" should be painted black. Was this restored incorrectly? or is this a fake all together? This is the one wooden propeller that sadly is hard to identify as original anymore.

Comment

Working...
                X