SM55 Savoia Marchetti propeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SM55 Savoia Marchetti propeller?

I would like to sell this four blades propeller, would you know an approximate evaluation?

Thank you...

Pino

Boy, that's a tough one. I would have trouble estimating its value if it were intact, but having the hub cut like that makes it much more difficult. There have been some very high bids on a few propellers on eBay lately, so it's even harder with those kinds of price fluctuations.
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
      Boy, that's a tough one. I would have trouble estimating its value if it were intact, but having the hub cut like that makes it much more difficult. There have been some very high bids on a few propellers on eBay lately, so it's even harder with those kinds of price fluctuations.
      Thanks Dave, I understand... probably to the epoch, cut was motivated for reasons transport.

In the years "60 the owner was an old retired aeronautical engineer and perhaps in that epoch it was only important possession a memory or a historical find, not the value of the object.

I think, that propeller can be, in spite of everything, extremely interesting and beautiful object.

Comment

I agree, and the blades themselves are in nice shape. I have seen them disassembled then glued back together as a display prop without losing much appeal to the eye, but they do lose some value in the "market".
        This prop is an example. The blades were cut near the hub to transport it sometime ago, then it was reassembled, but the fabric, etc. remain original, and it is still very attractive.

If you plan to sell it, I would suggest using something like a hot glue gun to temporarily hold the hub together (the way it would look when glued), take some photos, then show photos of it both ways and put it on eBay. You might even emphasize in the description that this will be the easiest four bladed display prop to ship that you are likely to ever find, and it might sell for close to its price if it were intact. As I mentioned, prices on eBay seem to have gone up signficantly in the past few months, so you might be pleasantly surprised. Heine props are fairly rare, even though this is a more modern version.
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
          I agree, and the blades themselves are in nice shape. I have seen them disassembled then glued back together as a display prop without losing much appeal to the eye, but they do lose some value in the "market".
          This prop is an example. The blades were cut near the hub to transport it sometime ago, then it was reassembled, but the fabric, etc. remain original, and it is still very attractive.

If you plan to sell it, I would suggest using something like a hot glue gun to temporarily hold the hub together (the way it would look when glued), take some photos, then show photos of it both ways and put it on eBay. You might even emphasize in the description that this will be the easiest four bladed display prop to ship that you are likely to ever find, and it might sell for close to its price if it were intact. As I mentioned, prices on eBay seem to have gone up signficantly in the past few months, so you might be pleasantly surprised. Heine props are fairly rare, even though this is a more modern version.
          Ok Dave, as always you're kind and available, your suggestion is precious, I will do as you say... but if it to remain I'll be however happy.

Comment

Does anyone have an idea what this propeller is worth even with it apart like this? Just shoot out a number so we have a clue.
            Thanks,
            Chad

Comment

The SM.55 had two and later three bladed propellers, so I don't think it could be recollected to this seaplane, the SM.66 had four bladed props, but my rough guess is that this could well be from a Dornier Do.J Wal, since Italy produced a licensed version of it and this one mounted four bladed props. Knowing the size of the prop would surely help.

Pino, hai ancora l'elica o l'hai venduta?

Cheers!

Alex

Comment

SM-55 4 bladed props

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erflugzeug.jpg

This aircraft has a 4 bladed prop on the rear engine

Comment

Working...
                X