Identification info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification info

I have propellers with a Bristol & Colonial Aeroplane Co Ltd stamp on it, They also have numbers 5120, and B&C 4387 on, can anyone tell me what aeroplane they could be off? Thank you, debbie

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the forum.

You haven't given us much to go on but the serial number B & C 4387 indicates a date of about three months into 1917. The company was called the British & Colonial Co until just after the end of WW1 when it became the Bristol Aeroplane Company.

I don't know to what 5120 refers. It is not a B&C drawing number and not any other WW1 recorded drawing number. A drg no would identify for which aircraft type the prop was made. I should add in parenthesis that although there is no record of 5120, it occurs in the drg nos issued to the Lang Propeller, although with no recorded use found so far.

There should be lots more data stamped on all four sides of the hub. Can you read any of it? Perhaps you could send us photographs? Ideally we need shots of the complete prop, both sides, the B&C decal, a drg number such as P3023, and the diameter and pitch of the prop, stamped as (for example) D2650 P2320. We need the photos at a good resolution, well lit and in focus. If this sounds obvious, you'd be amazed at some sent to me.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I have had another good look and have found the following info:

S (or Hp
      D500
      P400
      L Rhone
      P (or 001

51?0

There are the letters ADP within a circle

AID - the I could be a 1
      SLJ - the s could be an 8
      These six letters are within a square box

I'm sorry Bob I'm useless with computers so will have to get help if you need pics!

Thank you again for any info you can provide,

Kind regards

Debbie

Comment

Bob

Bob, that should be 8 or S and 8 or P (don't know why there is a smiley face!) told you was useless on computers!!

Comment

Good Morning Debbie,

Your data provides the answer; It translates as follows;

S (or Hp probably 90hp, possibly 80hp
          D500 D 2500, the diameter of the prop in mm
          P400 P2400 the pitch of the prop in mm
          L Rhone The type of engine, a French Le Rhone
          P (or 001 The drawing number of the Prop, P3001, where P indicates a Bristol design and 3001 indicates it is for use on the Bristol Scout

4387 The serial number. 2765 is also known. 2628 is owned by the Imperial War Museum
          51?0 I don't know

There are the letters ADP within a circle This is the airworthiness stamp of the Royal Navy and tr. as Air Dept (of the RN) Passed

AID - the I could be a 1 AID is the airworthiness stamp of the British Army. I have not seen both Army and Navy stamps on one prop before. It indicates the Aeronautical Inspection Department.
          SLJ - the s could be an 8 The identity of a specific inspector. It is likely to be 8LJ, although this number has not been recorded before. Known stamps used at Bristols' were 32, and OU5

Your prop is very probably made of walnut, although mahogany is possible. The government paid £12-5s-0d for it.

So your prop is very probably one of a batch of replacement props made by B&C in early 1917 for their Bristol Scout, which was used by the RFC on the Western Front in France and by the RN in the Aegean and Mesopotamia. It was ubiquitous in France. Lamberton records that every RFC squadron had two or three.

Smiley faces are always welcome!

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for the info, you are a STAR!!

It is so kind of you to have made such an effort and I really appreciate it.

Take care, kind regards,

Debbie:

Comment

See, Debbie.

I told you that Bob would figure it out.
              Dave

Comment

Dave

Hi Dave,

You're right, he is a clever boy! Thank you for your help with this it's been so kind of you both, I wouldn't have known where to start!

Just got to decide what to do with them now!

Take care,

Kind regards

Debbie

Comment

Debbie,

I'm glad to be able to help. It's not often that I can. Many props from WW1 cannot be identified. Info on every British and German prop described on this site goes into my database which is gradually expanding, so thank you for contacting us.

With kind regards,

Bob
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

Debbie,

A postscript.

Them?

How many have you got?

So, are the stamps AID and ADP on different props? And therefore 5120 and 4387 are both serial numbers on different props? So, you have two?

Bob
                    Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob

Sorry bob, it's one prop cut in half!

Kind regards

Debbie:

Comment

Ah yes. I hadn't thought of that. Many were cut in half. People in the aviation arms often took a time expired or damaged prop home on leave as a souvenir and had to cut in half to get it in their kitbag, or on the train or ferry.

Bob
                        Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob

Thanks Bob

Comment

Working...
                          X