Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions

Hi,

I was hoping that some of you could help me identify this propeller.

Some information about the propeller. First of all, this propeller is being restored at this moment… I know, I read the first topic in this forum, however, this propeller really was in a terrible condition. Some 30 years ago it was dug up close to where my parents live (The Netherlands) and initially mistaken for a dead tree. Only after removing the sand and dirt that was covering it, it became clear that it was actually a propeller. In the next 30 years it was basically left untouched. Although the wood itself is still in a fairly good condition (which surprises me the most after so many years of neglect), it was left in about 30 pieces and without any varnish or decals. Unfortunately, also some pieces are missing.

At this point the separate laminates are glued back together, but not yet to each other. Moreover, no varnish has been applied yet, so on the photo’s you’re looking at the bare wood. The overall length of the propeller is about 268 cm (≈ 8’9”) and it is about 25 cm (10”) wide. As I already mentioned it consists of quite some parts (I don’t know whether this is of any use, but from the photo’s under ‘manufacturing techniques’ I got the impression that it is also common to simply bolt together five or six planks).

I can understand that it is very difficult to try to identify a propeller that is such a condition, but I’ll post some new photo’s when more work has been carried out. In the meantime any suggestion is welcome, especially about the restoration process.

Kind regards,

Marijn
    Attached Files

It's a pretty good bet that without the identification numbers that were stamped around the hub or blade you won't be able to identify it with any degree of certainty. It does look, basically, more like a German design.

I wonder if there was anything under it when it was dug up - like a body???? They were sometimes used as makeshift grave markers.
    Last edited by Dave; 05-15-2009, 07:13 AM.
    Dave

Comment

I was already quite afraid that it would be very difficult to identify this prop. I really just started to look for information, but from the photo's on this site I do agree that it looks like a German design.

Whether there was also something under it? I don't think so. But these things do tend to get more interesting when a spectacular story can be told about them. I guess I can come up with a nice one...

Comment

Yes, exactly. Many of the "spectacular" stories are created well after the discovery of the item.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X