Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller

I was wondering if someone could help me identify a prop. Its an old Flottorp prop (wooden, with metal tip edges, and painted canvas ends) does anyone know what kind of airplane it comes off of? The numbers are DES 7231-50 and A3921. Thanks

(Edit

Ok here is some more details on the prop. The hub has only 6 holes, and the whole prop is only 6' long.

there is an emblem on the prop that says

flottorp
    worlds
    perfect balance
    oldest
    Grandrapids, 8 Mich

I can't find that drawing number on any of the Flottorp lists that I have. Is there a chance that the second two digits are actually letters?
    Dave

Comment

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...6/IMAG0002.jpg and

Comment

no, I can clearly see the numbers.

The Story:

My great grandfather got the propeller after a plane crash across from the present day high school. A few of the elderly people in the neighbor hood (all 89+) remember it, but there is no record of the incident, in any of the town or county records. My mom and I have been trying to find the whole story since he passed away 8 years ago, since we both love aviation and history.

I fly a cessna-172 and a mooneymite is the only thing I have been able to compare the prop to.

Comment

on the back there is another set of numbers

DES-72CE? Its really hard to read though, but different from the front

Comment

Flottorp made a 72C-50 model, used on a variety of aircraft that used a 65 HP Continental engine. Yours might be that or a variation ("E" sometimes denotes and experimental design) of some sort. The picture certainly looks like one that would typically be used on something like a J3 and about 7 or 8 similar aircraft.
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X