Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corect Identification/Value?

Hello all,
    My mother has a propeller deemed by the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum to be for the twin engine Curtiss F-5L flying boat with the 400hp Liberty type engine, manufactured in WWI by the Buffalo Aeroplane Corp. The markings inlclude: numbers "108" under the numeral "1" and followed by %LE. Description is 8' x 4'7" and "SE 20 E 13" (US Navy Bureau of Steam Engineering desgn number?). Other numbers include "41947" under the numeral "2". The Smithsonian is prohibited from appraisals so we would like to get any insight and your opinion on the value of this propeller. I have a copy of the Smithsonian letter as well as pictures; please provide me with an email address and I'll gladly send them. Thanks so much for your help. Jacqueline

Correction to previous post.

"5LE" not "%LE". Sorry about that...

Comment

You can send photos and other information using the "email" icon toward the bottom of this page. (Don't use the "PM" icon). I think if NASM has identified it, it's probably correct, and I don't have a list with that specific drawing number on it, although there are a number of other "SE" series props.

I suspect that its similar to this propeller, which was made by the same company for one of the F Boats as well. I'd be reluctant to even guess at the value without knowing what condition it was in.
      Dave

Comment

Email

Dave,
        Thanks for your response. I wouldn't say that it is in great condition, but I'd like to email some pictures. I know it's Friday, and maybe I'm a little crazed from the week, but I really do not see an email icon. ???
        Jacqueline

Comment

It's the third button from the left just under the bottom of each post and it's labeled EMAIL.

Comment

My fault. It's at the bottom of each thread, not the bottom of the whole page:

Dave

Comment

Ok, honestly the only buttons I have on my screen are Profile, PM, and WWW, no email button. Any idea??

Comment

Sorry, I'm lost too. You should have an email icon on the bottom of the post. Go to www.woodenpropeller.com, find the "contact" page, and email me through that link. (I think the "www" icon gets you to my web site. It may have something to do with enabling email messaging when you set up your profile.)

(The problem with posting your email address on a discussion board is that the spam robots pick it up and you start getting even more spam.)
                Dave

Comment

JRP, please log out then login again and let me know if you see the email button. Thanks.

Lamar

Comment

Images uploaded:

With all due respect to NASM, the propeller pictured would not have been used on the Curtiss F5L, which used Liberty engines. The hub size is more consistent with an OX5 or a Hall Scott A2A, and the propeller is similar, perhaps "identical" to this one, also manufactured by Buffairo.
                    Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X