Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propeller from OGMA? From a de Havilland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller from OGMA? From a de Havilland?

I have, since some years, a wonderful wooden propeller. After previous unsuccessful attempts at identifying the propeller, I recently restarted in my search.
    The propeller reports, on the hub, the writing “O.G.M.A.”, which might refer to the company OGMA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OGMA) the national aerospace company of Portugal.

On one side of the hub, there is:
    O.G.M.A.
    SERTE-22
    NO - 16
    The writings on the hub are difficult to read (I fear they might have been sandpapered). I am not sure about the correctness and the completeness of the writing. In particular, there is a wide gap between NO and 16.
    On the other side of the hub, there is
    GIPSY-II-III
    MAJOR

The propeller has a diameter of 192 cm (6 ft 6 in). It has a central hole of 7 cm (2.7 in) diameter with 8 surrounding holes.
    The propeller is made of wood and its leading edge is covered with a brass strip.

According to my researches, the propeller might come from a de Havilland Canada plane equipped with a Gipsy or Gipsy major plane. It might be one of the planes (Chipmunks) produced by OGMA.

Is anybody able to help me?
    Thank you!

Probably not able to help, especially when the numbers can't be determined.

But here's a list of the British propellers, one of which probably matches yours.
    Dave

Comment

Hello Dave,
      thanks for the link.
      I'm quite sure the propeller was manufactured by the Portuguese company OGMA. The company still exists. I sent a mail but I do not really expect a reply... but who knows
      By the way, I think it is SERIE and not SERTE.

Thanks

Francesco
      Last edited by fprevi; 03-09-2013, 05:22 AM.

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised when the manufacturer replied! A person there sent me a picture of a propeller they have, matching the one I have (except for serie number and part n.).
        Now I asked for additional info (year, machine...).

That was really a nice surprise

Comment

Still searching

Some updates...
          The company said they do not have document about the "old stuff". They said they've transferred everything to the Portuguese air museum.
          I wrote the museum. They seems not to have any material (did they just trash the documentation?) but I'm still in contact... maybe something will come up.

Comment

Working...
          X