Lang, I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lang, I think

What a fantastic website. I have a mysterious propeller and here you are, ready to answer my question. Here goes...

My dad acquired this propeller in the 1960's. He then mutilated it by sanding and varnishing it. Nevertheless, this is what I have. It is an 8 lamina mahogany prop. 88" diameter, bore 3 3/8". 8 bolts holes, PCD 6 5/8". Hub thickness 6 1/8". Bolt size 1/2". The stampings on the hub are shown in Slide 1.jpg (the grey level is my confidence in the info). Various photos attached.

Any info very gratefully received.

Regards

John Whitaker
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Whitaker; 03-06-2010, 06:17 PM.

Bob Gardner may chime in here in a while, but I believe that it's more likely a British or Canadian model. It's a left hand rotation for one thing, and the numbers (although I don't know what they mean) are similar to many British props. Also the "DRG" for "drawing" is more commonly British than the American "DES" for "design".

You'll notice some similar appearing left hand rotation props on this page.
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      Bob Gardner may chime in here in a while, but I believe that it's more likely a British or Canadian model. It's a left hand rotation for one thing, and the numbers (although I don't know what they mean) are similar to many British props. Also the "DRG" for "drawing" is more commonly British than the American "DES" for "design".

You'll notice some similar appearing left hand rotation props on this page.
      Thx Dave

My prop looks very similar to the first example on the web page you cite. Same diameter and pitch. Only difference appears to be the extent of the brass leading edge. Dunno about the NZ reference, though. Pretty sure mine is of British origin.

So it's probably WW2 vintage, I guess.

Thanks for your help

John Whitaker

Comment

I believe that it is Canadian and made by the Laidlaw Brothers during WW2 for the Cheetah IX or X engine.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Postscript;

Forumite Torontoworker posted this info in October 2007 which describes the Laidlaw Lumber Co in Canada which was recruited to make aircraft props during WW2

After searching RLL Co. records I found the following:

- The company had never made prop's before the outbreak of ww2, they mainly made staircases and flooring pre-war.
          - The material used for their propellers was yellow birch from the firms northern Ontario timber leases.
          - The glue, lacquer and yellow paint (for the tips) was supplied by the firm C.I.L. Ltd.
          - There was a complicated 15 step selection process for the squared off raw wooden blanks before they were put through the band saw to cut the 3/4 inch planks.
          - The laminations once glued, were put under 200lbs per sq. in for 48 hours before further finishing.
          - My prop was made at their Bloor and Dundas mill in what is now downtown Toronto, (No longer standing). For locals - this is in the "Junction Triangle" area of town where Bloor and Dundas streets cross over for te second time.
          - The factory foreman was named Robert Milne.

Pouring through the books I found a cost of $80.00 (1943) for a production example of an unidentified propeller - however I could find no mention of shipping details other then a reference to RCAF supply depots.

I do know that there were direct shipments to deHaviland for the Tiger Moth in 1939 but the 375 Anson 2's built there appear to have used the Jacobs engine so a different type prop must have been supplied that was different to mine .

There was an industry trade magazine saved in the file by the company that had an article on their companies production of propellers where the writer reports that the lifespan of the propellers produced was between 300 and 400 hours but due to the fact that they were used in training, most of the production didn't last that long due to accidents!

Also found was the fact that Laidlaw was the Eastern Canada wooden propeller repair center, (all types and brands).
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Not a Lang after all!

Bob

Following your lead, I Googled Cheetah X and found this pic of a propeller as close as I could imagine to mine... down to the Drg no 613C, diameter and pitch. Also, the line below the drg no. on my prop could easily say Cheetah X now that I have been prompted with the info. (see my slide1.jpg)

http://www.tennants.co.uk/Catalogue/...627.aspx#image

According to the link, I now think it to be for a Cheetah X engine for the Oxford Mk1 and 11 aircraft.

Never thought I'd get so specific a result so quick.

Really appreciate all the help. I'll now start boning up on Oxford Mk1 and 11 aircraft.

Thanks

John Whitaker

Comment

Good Morning John,

I am glad I was able to help. I think that more often than not, I fail to identify a prop. But I learn all the time from posts on this forum.

By coincidence the auction house in your link is in the same county where I live in England.

Please post a synopsis of anything you discover about Canadian Oxfords. The aircraft was originally an Airspeed Ensign, a late 1930's civilian two engined aircraft. With the outbreak of WW2 in 1939, it was made in thousands as a training aircraft for pilots, navigators and radio ops.

With kind regards,

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
              X