Massive 10' long prop, I.D help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive 10' long prop, I.D help?

Hello. I've had this prop for about 20 years. No ID'ing marks or decals. 10 ft 1-1/2" long. Has termite damage, although "tented" last week. It's big. When I got it it was covered with paint overspray and it was a mess. It was on display, but has been in the rafters since. Covered with garage muck now. No idea what it's off of. It's big, impressive. Any help identifying would be great. Love the site, glad i found it. Jim

It cleaned up, and i mean cleaned. this thing has been in several conditions before i got it, so i didn't ruin any patina on it. What i find interesting is, in the descriptions on this site, it says WW1 are the longer in feet, and 8 holes for the hub. This is 10 ft long but has 6 holes. i was hoping this could narrow it down a little, yeah right huh?

Comment

It's hard even with identification stampings to determine specific usage of most of these propellers. There were just thousands of different designs and sizes, and they all seem to look similar. The number of bolt holes isn't that specific to an era. It's just that most of the engines in the WW1 period were large and had 8 hole hubs.

The metal sheathing on yours is a little more typical of later era models, although that's not specific either.
      Dave

Comment

Yeah, the more i read on here the more discouraged i got. Oh well it's an awesome prop. Sadly might have to sell it soon. Thanks Dave

Comment

Working...
        X