Wooden propellers and humidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden propellers and humidity

Bit of a random question, but would it be a bad idea to put an aquarium underneath a wall-mounted wooden propeller? I wonder if evaporated water could have a detrimental effect on a wooden prop or not.

I can't see it being a problem.
    I had various aquariums for 25 years or so and never even thought of the humidity from them.
    I did have none led lights though which gave off heat.

Comment

It would be an excellent thing to do. Old wood shrinks in both hot and dry conditions and can crack. My Georgian breakfast table has a large crack across its circular circumference!

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

That's great Bob! I was secretly hoping it could actually be beneficial, but I really wasn't sure. You often see props with split layers and I would hate for it to happen to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyraider3D View Post
          That's great Bob! I was secretly hoping it could actually be beneficial, but I really wasn't sure. You often see props with split layers and I would hate for it to happen to mine.
          The splits occur from drying out. Nn your case that problem will occur when you take it from above the aquarium and move it to a dry place.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
            The splits occur from drying out. Nn your case that problem will occur when you take it from above the aquarium and move it to a dry place.
            That's an interesting consideration and worth keeping in mind!

Comment

That's not to say that there can't be other problems with moisture, but splitting shouldn't be one of them.

Some pilots insist on leaving their installed props in the horizontal position to avoid having balance issues, but I never bothered on my Piper Cub. I guess in theory the temperature may be a little higher at the top of the prop than the bottom and that could cause a difference is drying out one blade more than the other.

Comment

Mine is mounted horizontal
                I guess with floor heating it could make an actual difference.

Comment

Working...
                X