Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German propeller

I have found this propeller, no signs on it, length approx 1.70 meters
    The previous owner used to be a glider pilot and owned this propeller for at least 50 years (unfortunately he died and his widow didnĀ“t listen when he told the background information of this propeller)

Dave, would you please add the pics? Thanks

Thomas from Germany, Lake Konstanz

It's not likely an airplane propeller. The hub is not typical of any aircraft type, and the inlay wood on the blades is very unusual. Also, although you can't tell from the pictures, it looks as if the blade angle is constant along its entire length, which is not how aircraft propellers are made.
    Dave

Comment

what else?

Dave, thanks for posting the pictures.
      What else than an aircraft used propellers?
      For me it looks like the thing could not withstand high speeds, so it must have been used at some slow turning machine

Comment

I've seen them for windmills and some indoor ventilation machines, but there are probably other similar applications, including airboat and snowsleighs, but those usually use a more secure hub arrangement, like an airplane.
        Dave

Comment

aircraft

I have learned from a collector in Germany that this is an aircraft propeller. Before WW2, on the Wasserkuppe in Germany they handcrafted small aircrafts and propellers and he thinks this is one of those. This fits to the information I have gotten from the widow of the previous owner: he learned to fly gliders on the Wasserkuppe.

Comment

Working...
          X