WWI Propeller Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWI Propeller Identification

I have been asked to sell this propeller on consignment. I am a WWII aircraft parts guy and this is not my area of specialty. The story is that it is a Fokker D VII propeller recovered by the pilot who shot the aircraft down, and that it has been lightly re-finished. There are stampings on the face of the hub mount area, marked

FLUG. 11657
    FOKK. D.VII

There is a stamping on the base of the blade profile, with a crown with a W, HEMBRUG, and 1917.

On the side of the hub area is the following
    MODEL K
    60 PK
    SPOED 160

My suspect areas are, based on my experience with artifacts in general:

1. The refinish is very uniform, not an uneven patina as you typically find on an artifact.

2. The difference in the stamping fonts on the side of the hub versus the fonts on the face.

3. The variance in stamping quality between the side of the hub and face area of it.

4. The quality of the stamping on the crown stamp. It is not deep or incisive as the other two are.

5. I know the Model K by Curtiss which was built for Russia, and it has nothing to do with a Fokker D. VII.

I looked at the German Propellers illustrated on the site, and what I see only re-enforces my doubts about this one. But as I said, I am not an expert in this era so am seeking advice. Images linked below:

Prop

Hello,
    I think it's a dutch made propeller for a fokker d7 after ww1.
    These fokkers where used by the Dutch airforce.
    Made by Hembrug.
    The 60pk should be 160pk.
    Greetz

Comment

It's a left hand rotation, which is unusual and may eliminate a number of possibilities.

What does "SPOED" translate to? Anyone know?
      Dave

Comment

D

It means pitch in dutch

Comment

I think I need glasses.
          Indeed it's left hand.
          So could it be from a fokker d7??
          I don't know.

Comment

It certainly is a dutch made propeller but also a strange shape for a fokker d7.
            Bob Gardner may help you.
            It's strange then that the prop is marked with fokker dvii.
            It seems an original marking.
            But all the other marks are Dutch and FLUG is an german marking.
            Spoed is Dutch
            PK is dutch
            Hembrug Dutch firm
            Who can help???

Comment

Originally posted by Geertse View Post
              I think I need glasses.
              Indeed it's left hand.
              I don't know.
              I'm not aware that any versions of the D VII were left hand rotation, and the two D VII props that I've owned were both right hand rotation. One was for the Mercedes and the other for the BMW engine.
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Geertse View Post
                I think I need glasses.
                Indeed it's left hand.
                I don't know.
                I'm not aware that any versions of the D VII were left hand rotation, and the two D VII props that I've owned were both right hand rotation. One was for the Mercedes and the other for the BMW engine.

As I look closely at the "Fokk D VII" I'm not sure that the numbers are as "crisp" as the others and almost appear to have been carved in with a rotary tool of some kind instead of an actual stamp. Certainly the extra "K" looks a little suspect to me. Pure speculation, of course.

Attached Files
                Dave

Comment

Hi,
                  It is 99.99% a Chauvière. I remember seing a Chauvière stamped "Model" and one letter somewhere, perhaps on this forum, but can't find it.
                  Bob will remember if it was there.
                  Remark: it seems the "tapered" side of the central hole is on extrados. If true, it is a pusher.
                  PM

Comment

Originally posted by pmdec View Post
                    Hi,

Remark: it seems the "tapered" side of the central hole is on extrados. If true, it is a pusher.
                    PM
                    That would be consistent with the left hand thread.
                    Dave

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the guidance on this propeller. The owner has asked me to sell it for him and I will offer it here first. Those who helped with identification have first rights of refusal. The owner is asking $1000 for it. It is located in California and available for pick-up in the Los Angeles area.

Comment

Working...
                      X