Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 08-30-2019, 07:00 AM   #11
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

The absence of decals may also suggest an earlier (i.e. pre-WW1) manufacture, although quite a few WW1 era manufacturers also did not use decals.

It goes without saying that you should not try to "restore" this prop in any way, but I said it anyway.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #12
sanger22

Thank you,I appreciate your input. The person that I acquired it from said to me that it was sitting in his property for a long time and he was recently thinking that he should sand it and give it a new coat of varnish. After reading the forum comments Iím glad that I took possession before he touched it. I have only wiped a layer of dirt off of the surface with a very damp cloth. Nothing other than that.
sanger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #13
Bob Gardner

Sanger,

I advise polishing it with pure beeswax. You will probably be delighted by the effect. Only use pure beeswax which comes in a tin from B & Q. A day later, do it again.

Don't use the aerosol polish widely available in GB which contains modern silicones. These are too powerful for 100 year old finishes and will cause a bloom.

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #14
sanger22

Bob,
Thank you. I will do that. I appreciate your help.
Sincerely, John
Old 08-30-2019, 02:21 PM   #15
sanger22

Im sure this probably isnít much help but I was searching for antique propellers on the internet. Early flight is fascinating. I wonder what the survival rate was for flying in the early 1900s. I did see a few propellers that looked close. This one has the same overall shape and it also had the extra bolt hole in the hub that is closer to the middle of the hub. The hole is about 3 inches out and the photo I have attached has the same hole. Itís hard to see in the picture. Maybe many of the older propellers have this extra hole but this is the only other one I found.
Thanks, John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE95F0FF-899A-4640-876A-FF67A2C5928E.jpg (5.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-30-2019, 02:22 PM   #16
sanger22

After posting the picture I realized that the quality is reduced when it was posted so itís hard to see the extra hole.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:16 PM   #17
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbahnson View Post
.../...
Hopefully PMdec will see this and offer an opinion. I get the feeling that it is an early and perhaps rare model.
Hi,
It is difficult for me to give an opinion:
- the shape looks old, but
- I don't know about the use of very thin copper/copper alloy to "shield" the blades before 1915,
- the use of nails is specially strange (normally, screws and/or rivets),
- the "D9 P7" marking is typically american for this era, so perhaps copper and nails were used there before WW1?
- the stamping itself seems "industrial" (the digit are stamped one by one before WW1 and then are not very "straight").

For me (and so "IMHO") it could be a prop made after (very after?) WW1 for exposition of a pre-war plane or engine. But I hope I am to be corrected...

Regards,
PM
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #18
sanger22

PM
Thank you for your input. I looked at the propeller again after your reply and realized the nails are actually rivets. I assumed that they were nails when I first looked at them but after looking again I could see that it went through the wooden blade and came out the other side on each one. The metal on the propeller is brass and it looks like it was soldered along the seams. I have enclosed a couple of pictures. Iím sure seeing the propeller in person would help determine the age. Does anyone on the forum know where I could bring it in the New England area for someone to look at? I would just like to know if this is something worth keeping or if it is a reproduction disposing of. I appreciate everyoneís knowledge and helpfulness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC956385-1547-40F2-8AD2-D5C9E54B396A.jpg (89.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 812CA811-8BE0-4F0E-8709-19F2A45E38D4.jpg (83.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #19
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

I doubt that it's a reproduction, but it may not be possible to identify it much further than we already have. There are a lot of possibilities.

I live in Vermont and can look at it, although I'm not sure what else can be determined by doing so, but you never know.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #20
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Hi,

OK, if there are rivets, I change my mind: It was probably not made as a non-flying replica. But I doubt it is pre-WW1. Perhaps for use on a plane using an "old" engine or to fly an old plane in the early 20's.
Anyway, I think it is better to keep it "as is": NO restoration or varnish in wait of more knowledge.
BTW, I am sure Dave will be able to know more by direct view!

Best regards,
PM
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote