Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting 1913 Wooden prop into Australia

Hi folks,

Wish I had found this web site before....I have a 1913 BE2A/B propeller in the UK at my parents' house, and made recent enquiries about shipping it over here. The cost of the shipping was about $1200 but the estimated cost to have it "treated" by Customs as it is, of course, a wooden item, was estimated to cost another $1200, making me reluctant to ship it over.
    Can anyone confirm if this is the expected cost for treatment? I was going to loan it to a museum here, but they weren't interested.
    Most UK museums are also not interested in the loan of such a prop, preferring it to be "donated". I am reluctant to do this, so would still like to get it over to Australia.
    The info on the hub says it was made by Aldam Heaton & Co, for BE2A/B and is for a 70HP Renault engine (one of which I believe they have at Moorabbin Museum). Aldam Heaton's company usually made wooden furnishings, and did some of the State Rooms on the Titanic!

Thanks in advance
    Neil

Neil,

I have shipped several wooden props to Australia (and NZ), all by ocean freight. I'm aware of the defumigation treatment that you mention.

But none of my customers has mentioned wood treatment, nor has my shipper ever made preparations, as far as I know.

You might wish to describe your prop as 'antique' on the paper work. (The general definition is 100 or more years old.)

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I've been using http://IPSparcel.com and recently shipped one from the U.S. to Australia without problem. It seems crazy but IPSParcel gets a volume discount and uses the major carriers - DHL, FedEx and maybe UPS. The cost ends up being just over half of the cost going through the carrier itself, and they take care of all of the paperwork when you give them the information for customs. I've shipped several props worldwide and have been very pleased with the outcome.

You can get an instant quote from them if you know (or estimate) the size and weight of the carton and enter it into their calculator. They'll show the prices for the various carriers. If and when you go to actually ship it, be sure to have the dimensions and weight represented accurately, as any discrepancy will be charged at the carrier's rate, not that for IPS parcel.
      Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave and Bob. I will follow up.

Brgds
        Neil

Comment

Working...
        X