Eagle Propeller Inc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle Propeller Inc?

I am trying to find information on a beautiful wooden prop I own. It was made in the 70s or 80s I believe by Eagle Propeller Inc. It is 88 1/2" long. It has a stamped designation on the side of the hub that reads - EAGLE - D-762ss-81 - 89-51. I have no idea what engine this propeller was made for. I thought it was for use on an OX-5. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a few pictures.
    thanks,
    Scott
    415-419-4510
    Attached Files

You may find that drawing number on the Fahlin list of propellers. For a while the Fahlin type certificates were made by Eagle Air, and that might be what you have.

The data on Eagle Type Certificate #533 indicates that it was for a 220 HP engine, with a diameter between 90" and 94" and a pitch between 68" and 74", but the "ss" on yours might indicate a variation of that. Just looking, the center hole in yours looks too wide for an OX5 hub. For the Fahlin models that begin with 762, the hub is listed as having 7/16" bolt holes, a bolt circle diameter of 7" and hub thickness of 6". See if those match yours.

I don't think that yours is in any way related to Eagle propellers made during WW1, like this one, which was made for a DH4 by Shoniger in the teens.
    Dave

Comment

Eagle Prop

Thanks Dave,
      The bolt holes are 1/2" dia. The bolt circle diameter is 7" center to center. The hub thickness is just over 4". I checked the Fahlin list and there is no exact match. The closest is the 761-71 for the Waco UBA UIC with a 220 Cont.
      It seems that 89 1/2" would be too short. One person I know thought it may be for a PT-23 with a 220.
      I can't find any info on the Eagle Propeller Co. I agree it is not related to the WWI Eagle Prop Co.
      I appreciate your time Dave.
      Best,
      Scott

Comment

Scott:
        I have a Falcon propeller with "Eagle Propeller" blade decals. There is a picture of the propeller under "Just Showing Off" -- its the one on the far right side of the picture. Does yours resemble this one of mine?
        Dwight

Comment

Here's the picture that Dwight's referring to, and the prop is the one on the right. You can enlarge it by clicking on the small icon in the lower right hand side of the picture (if your browser has resized it to fit your screen).

I'm wondering if the connection here isn't through Mike Redpath at Falcon Propellers. Mike bought the type certificates for Fahlin Propellers and is manufacturing them under the trade name "Falcon". However, at one time those same type certificates were also apparently owned by "Eagle" or "Eagle Air", but it's possible that Mike has made some props just using the Eagle logo and decal.

Although I have Mike's email, I'm not at liberty to post it on a public forum, but you might try contacting him through this link, which comes up under Google for "Falcon Propellers".
          Dave

Comment

Eagle Prop

Thanks Dave and Dwight. Yes that looks like the same decal. I tried to contact Mike at Falcon Props to no avail. The number has been disconnected. Maybe Mike would at least know what my prop was made for. Any help would be appreciated. He can email me at f2redjacket@msn.com
            thanks,
            Scott

Comment

Actually, I emailed Mike and he's planning to re-register and post but seems a little busy. Here's what he sent me in 2 separate emails. He may or may not be able to update this later.

Eagle is who Ole Fahlin sold the company originally around late 60's early 70's. They were located in KS. I would have to pull the paperwork I have to give you more details. He held it until around 1984 when he sold it to Leroy Brown in FL who Jim Kimball got it from around 1988.

Mike
              I had to reregister. SS I would have guess stainless tipped but does not appear to be. D-762 is 220 continental, 1/2" bolt hole would only be early hubs, not Air Corp. 81 should be year it was made. 89-51 should be length and pitch, but is not correct at all for D-762. Shortest would have been 90 for a PT-23, but should have a lot more pitch. My guess would be homebuilt application since all other info is missing from the stamping on the prop. When I find some time I will introduce myself to the board.

Mike
              Dave

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate your help Dave and Mike!
                best,
                Scott

Comment

I am finally here. I don't have time to post much but will check the forum off and on. If you need to cantact me you can send an email though the forum.

Pertaining to the prop in this thread. It should have been no shorter than 90". 1/2" holes are incorrect unless it was mated to an early A70 or 210hp W670 hub. My guess is they did not use the correct 7/16" Air Corps bolts and replaced with 1/2" bolts of some type.

This Eagle has nothing to do with the original Eagle/Paragon propellers.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X