wooden prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wooden prop

have come into my possesion a wooden prop 103 inches in length,hub diameter 10.5 inches hub thickness 7.25 inches hub centre bore3.5 inches bolt hole diameter c to c 7.7/8 inches 1/2 inch bolts there has also been an 8 hole bolt pattern that has been plugged off 5.5 inch diameter c to c.markings on one side of hubas follows No 907 1354 k+w thun . other side of hub as follows d260 s 285 500 ps hs motor d27 any help wood b appreciated in id ing this prop. it also appears to have a bullet gone thru one of the blades any help on value wood b good to .thanks in advance
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave; 01-07-2010, 04:18 PM.

Your prop is probably German made and probably dates from the 1920s.
    The diameter is 2600mm and the pitch is 2850mm, a combination which hints at an engine with reduction gearing to the prop. The horse power is 500.

It may have been made by Heine. It might possibly have been made for a Swedish aircraft.

If you could post photographs of the complete prop and of the data stamped on the hub, I might be able to help further.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

wooden prop

there is decals on each blade that say THUN only other thing is that leading edge is capped with brass from the tip all the way to the hub will try tu post sum pics but am nore of a gawk than a geek lol

Comment

Originally posted by craneguy View Post
        . . . will try tu post sum pics but am nore of a gawk than a geek lol
        See this post.
        Dave

Comment

Thanks for this additional info. Your prop is Swiss, not Swedish. Thun is a town in the Swiss alps where the Swiss Federal Construction Works was based (Eidgenössische Konstruktions Werkstätte, K+W). They made props as well as the aircraft.

The engine was probably a Hispano-Suiza.

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

wooden prop

any kind of value. does the bullet hole have any effect or shud it b repaired

Comment

Originally posted by craneguy View Post
              any kind of value. does the bullet hole have any effect or shud it b repaired

A bullet hole adds value if it's authentic and occurred in combat. You shouldn't try to restore or repair anything on it. Its value is as a display piece, not an airworthy part, so keep it original.
              Dave

Comment

how wood one go about authenticating bullet hole front side is just a hole about 5/16 of an inch back side is splintered where it came through . gessing ur gona say that its hard wiyhout visually c in it

Comment

wierd how it wood end up in british cloumbia canada

Comment

bob or dave wood b easier if i had email add to send pics

Edit: pics added to original post.

Here is the bullet entrance hole pic, I believe.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dave; 01-07-2010, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Sure. Try Dave at woodenpropeller.com (use the @ format, of course).
                      Dave

Comment

It may not have been a warlike bullet. I don't think the Swiss have been to war for six hundred years. But they might have sold some aircraft for export which were used in combat. Or someone might have just fired a round off at it in Canada.

If you google the name of the company who made it, Eidgenössische Konstruktions Werkstätte, or K+W Thun, you might be able to discover the type of aircraft and if any were exported.

My advice is to sell it on eBay. Make sure that you tick the box for 'worldwide' so that it is visible in Switzerland. Make sure that use the names Eidgenössische Konstruktions Werkstätte, and K+W Thun.
                        It's value can only be guessed at until proved in an auction but I think it might sell to a Swiss for around 1000 USD.

With kind regards,

Bob
                        Last edited by Bob Gardner; 01-08-2010, 12:02 PM.
                        Bob Gardner

Comment

thanks for the quick responses.googled and came up with website unfortunatly will have to find sumone to interpet for me lol thanks again

Comment

Working...
                          X